Many families have joined the Meatless Monday movement and many Catholics are also observing meatless Fridays during Lent. Two meatless days in one week can cause even the best menu planner to scramble for delicious meatless meals.
Irish potato soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich or thick slices of butter sourdough bread and a salad makes a complete, frugal and meatless meal for your family for Meatless Monday and Fridays during the Lenten season. You can also enjoy Irish potato soup for St. Patrick's Day.
To make Irish potato soup vegan you will want to make substitutions for the non-vegan ingredients in this Irish potato soup recipe.
Irish potato soup can be made vegan with these substitutions:
- Earth Balance butter substitute or olive oil for butter
- Vegetable bouillon cube for chicken bouillon cube
- Almond milk or vegetable broth for milk
- Dayia vegan cheddar style shreds
Irish potato soup recipe for Meatless Mondays or Fridays during Lent
Ingredients for Irish potato soup:
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large yellow or white onion, thinly sliced (approximately 1 cup)
- 3 large white potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced or cut into small cubes (approximately 3 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
How to make Irish potato soup:
- In 4 to 6-quart stock pot of Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, thinly sliced onions and potatoes to melted butter in stock pot. Stir to coat onions and potatoes with melted butter. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover the pan, allowing the vegetables to soften over low heat, do not let them brown. Add thinly sliced celery; cover and let soften over low heat, but do not brown.
- Add the chicken bouillon, celery, dried parsley, garlic and season with salt & pepper.
- Cover the pan allowing the vegetables to soften under a low heat, do not let them brown.
- Add chicken bouillon cube, milk and dried parsley. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat approximately 30 minutes until soup starts to thicken.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese. Keep stirring until cheese melts and soup becomes thick. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes, allowing soup to thicken. Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
- Yield: approximately four 1½ cup servings
All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.