This moist, delicious meatball has some surprising ingredients, and the taste is absolutely wonderful. This recipe from Fabio at Chow Ciao makes the perfect Italian meatball.
You can always have meatballs on hand if you freeze them in small batches. Use them for meatball sandwiches, spaghetti, cut up as a pizza topping, etc.
A couple hints to making wonderful meatballs are:
- Put the ingredients in a bowl and mix them using your hands – the best and easiest way to mix the ingredients well.
- Make the meatballs the same size so they cook uniformly. (Use a cookie scoop or melon-baller.)
- If you’re making them for spaghetti, cook them in the marinara sauce – it flavors the sauce and seals the moisture in the meatballs.
- If you are making meatballs and don’t have marinara sauce on hand, bake the meatballs in a sided-baking pan with a little water in the bottom (see the recipe below).
The Perfect Italian Meatball Recipe
Ingredients for the Perfect Italian Meatball:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
Directions for making the Perfect Italian Meatball:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a jellyroll pan or another sided baking pan.
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until the ingredients are combined well.
Form the mixture into 1 ½-inch balls. If you’re doing this by hand, rub a little olive oil on your palms so the mixture doesn’t stick. Otherwise use a cookie scooper or melon baller.
Put the meatballs in a single layer on the prepared pan spaced a little bit apart. Pour ½ cup water into the pan.
Bake uncovered for 10 - 12 minutes, turn over and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from the pan. Garnish with salt, pepper, and shredded or shaved parmesan cheese.
Alternative method for cooking: If you have a large pot of marinara sauce, put the meatballs into the simmering sauce. Cook for about 6 – 8 minutes or until they are fully cooked.
Other delicious recipes:
Easy meatball sauce recipe – grape jelly is the basis for a delicious sauce
Click on “SUBSCRIBE” above!