A meat recall announced on Feb. 8, 2014 affects an entire year's worth of beef produced by Rancho Feeding Corporation. The meat was processed at the company's slaughterhouse between Jan. 1, 2013 and Jan. 7, 2014. It was distributed to retail establishments and distribution centers in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas.
The company is based out of Petaluma in Northern California. It is recalling a whopping 8.7 million pounds of beef products because some of the cattle were not properly inspected. This is a mandatory recall.
According to a report by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), which has classified the situation as a high health risk:
Rancho Feeding Corporation, a Petaluma, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 8,742,700 pounds, because it processed diseased and unsound animals and carried out these activities without the benefit or full benefit of federal inspection.
Thus, the products are adulterated, because they are unsound, unwholesome or otherwise are unfit for human food and must be removed from commerce, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The FSIS further stated that they have received no complaints of illness related to the beef included in the massive meat recall. However, this is classified as a Class I Recall.
According to the USDA, a Class I Recall meets the following qualification:
This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death." Those concerned about illness from eating tainted product from the meat recall were advised to consult a health care provider.
The list of impacted meat products involved in the recall, as posted on the USDA website, includes the following items:
- Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box "Beef (Market) Heads" (retail only)
- 4-gallons per box "Beef Blood" (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
- 30-lb. boxes of " Beef Lips"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Omasum"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripas"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Mountain Oysters"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Sweet Breads”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Cuts"
- 40-lb. boxes of "Veal Bones"
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
- 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Trim"