The South Beach Diet is not so much a diet as it is a lifestyle and a way to maintain a healthy weight. It is comprised of three phases and phase one is the strictest and only for those who want to lose 10 or more pounds. Its purpose is to stabilize the metabolism and eliminate sugar cravings.
Phase one has a list of foods that you must stick to for two weeks in order for the diet to properly work. You can mix and match the foods on the list to your desire but the best way to stay faithful to Phase One is by changing up your meals and getting creative so you don’t binge out of boredom. Below are meal and snack ideas all ideal for phase one. (Make sure to check with the diet’s website for portion limitations)
• Denver Omelet made with shredded low fat cheddar cheese, lean ham pieces, chopped red and bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes with a side of greens.
• Breakfast scramble with 2 eggs, black beans, tomatoes, reduced fat mozzarella cheese and salsa.
• Poached Eggs over a bed of spinach and a low fat cottage cheese
• 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (no-added sugar) on celery sticks
• Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge
• Non-fat, plain Greek yogurt with 15 almonds OR walnuts
• Kale and Vegetable Salad made with Kale leaves, turkey slices, reduced fat swiss cheese, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, mushrooms, red onions, kidney beans, hardboiled egg, cucumber slices, and 2 tablespoons of Annie's Goddess Dressing.
• Crustless spinach and ham quiche with a side of cherry tomatoes
• Chicken and avocado salad
• Veggie crudités and store-bought or homemade hummus
• Raw veggies and light Ranch dip dressing
• Light string cheese and a few slices of low fat turkey or ham
• Scoop of tuna or egg salad with celery stalks
• Spice rubbed chicken fingers with cilantro dipping sauce and a side of Brussels sprouts and garlic (pictured above)
• Curried summer squash soup– add chicken breast to make it a full meal
• Vegetable Chili – Add extra lean ground turkey for protein and substitute Fage non-fat plain greek yogurt for sour cream. Garnish with green onions and reduced fat shredded cheddar.
• Broiled Halbut (or talapia) with lemon and dil with a side of Stuffed baked tomatoes.
• Steamed Mussels with white wine
• Mustard Crusted Steak and a side of Sesame Green Beans. Try with butter-free Bernaise Sauce.