On Saturday, May 3, New Jersey and surrounding areas will get an opportunity to experience the Kentucky Derby for Derby Day at Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment in East Rutherford, about 95 miles north of the Philadelphia metro. Free!
It all starts at 9:30 a.m., when the first 8,000 guests to arrive get free t-shirts that suitably read "Keep Calm and Derby On." Attendees can expect a full day of simulcast (Kentucky Derby from Churchill Downs) and live racing, a seminar from celebrity guests of Esquire Network's Horseplayers, chances to win prizes, plus access to an array of southern food, including that of the new Victory Sports Bar & Club where traditional southern dishes like glazed baby back ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, sweet potato and pecan mash provide a true taste of the south.
Here's the rundown:
- 9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Continental breakfast at Victory Sports Bar & Club
- 11:30 a.m. Derby themed buffet at Victory Sports Bar & Club ($39.95)
- 1:00 p.m. Derby Handicapping seminar hosted by "Team Rotondo" (Cast members: Peter Rotondo Sr., Peter Rotondo Jr. and Lee Davis) from Horseplayers TV series
- 2:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Signup for "Inner Southern Belle" $500 Grand Prize Hat Contest
- 6:00 p.m. Scratch-offs (up to $500 instantly) and Horseplay Horses prizes begin
- 7:15 p.m. Live harness racing at the Meadowlands begin
- All Day: Woodford Reserve bourbon "Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby" and other bourbon specials
For reservations or to book a private event at Victory Sports Bar & Club, call 201-843-2446 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The best viewing seats are at the track's apron and grandstand, where the "140th Run for the Roses" will be simulcast on an 18x48 inch HD video screen, and the "Pink" tiered dining room is recommended for a nice view of the live races.