Je l’adore doesn’t have quite the same cadence to it as “I’m lovin’ it,” but the translation will have to suffice for most customers chomping down on the McDonald’s newest creation because that creation just went on sale in branches of the chain in France.
Meet the McBaguette. Bloomberg reports that the ham and cheese (and potato) combo nested in a crisp baguette won the approval of veteran chef Pierre Koffmann, who said: “If I was hungry walking by, I’d buy it with pleasure.”
Koffman, who ran the kitchen of the Michelin three-star-winning La Tante Claire in the 1990s, added:
The garnish is good: There’s plenty of salad and plenty of everything. The bread isn’t a pure baguette because this one is shorter, but it’s good bread. Not the top bread in Paris but it’s good. I’m not disappointed by it.
As an interesting side note, Bloomberg observes that the Golden Arches in France uses artisanal ingredients. Nawfal Trabelsi, chief marketing officer of McDonald’s France, explains:
People come to McDonald’s mainly for the slice of America they can get out of it and as you grow in a country, you are expected by people to start proposing proof points of local relevance. We’ve been on this journey now for 10 years, by changing the decor, by extending or adapting the offerings, and the baguette comes as a symbol of French culture at the right time.
- How well do you know your fast food trivia? Take this test (Photos)
- Celebrity chef Alton Brown’s “Good Eats” studio sold
- Why McDonald’s burgers never look as good as the ones in the picture (Photos)
- School secretary fined for using $3,000 of school’s money to binge on fast food
- Subway restaurant burglar foiled by his own potato chip trail
- Snackman: NYC’s snack-eating subway vigilante gets his 15 minutes (Video)
- FL hooker: ‘Will [blank] for cheeseburgers’
- Ronald McDonald violates restraining order, enters McDonald’s (Photos)
- Death row inmate goes out on full stomach, ingests 29,000-calorie last meal
- Obese man suing White Castle because booths are “too small”
- McDonald’s employee arrested for spitting in customer’s drink
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- Another day, another McDonald’s customer meltdown
- CA town attempts to ban McDonald’s on religious grounds
- The most persuasive argument against eating fast food you are likely to see
- Customers waiting for fast food unfazed by gunfire inches away
- Near deadly violence between employee and customers at NYC McDonald’s (Video)
- Teen charged in violent McDonald’s beating has prior arrest record