It was a long time coming, but Tim McDonald finally achieved a long-sought-after perfect game, and his feat is the headline performance in this week's Examiner.com report on high scores at bowling centers in the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Making only his second appearance as a substitute in the Thursday Night Mixed League at Bowland Port Charlotte, the 47-year-old righthander blasted games of 265, 300 and 211 for a 776 series.
"I'm ecstatic," said McDonald, who has carried yearbook averages of 203, 207 and 197 in the past three seasons. "That was my first-ever 300, sanctioned or practice, and it was my highest series, as well. I've rolled at least 20 games of 279 or better, but I've never gone all the way."
Meanwhile, Greg Talbot fell one pin shy of perfection during a recent session of the Jeffcoat Blueprinting League at AMF Bradenton Lanes, finishing with a 299 game as part of a 718 series.
On the distaff side, Diane Kays had the pins falling her way in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Ladies League at Treasure Lanes in Port Charlotte, where she carries a 184 average. She blasted a 702 series on games of 236, 244 and 222.
Two area players posted far-over-average series at Bowland Port Charlotte. Dave Barclay rolled a 207-over 690 on games of 244, 232 and 214 in the RG Strikeline Seniors League, and Jason Keosaian had a 174-over 756 on games of 279, 238 and 239 in the Guys & Dolls League.
In the La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes, Bob Yoder pounded out a 171-over-average 727 series (258-256-213) and Manny Rigas had a 155-over 746 series (246-253-247).
Carl Frank turned in a 166-over-average 694 set (235-224-235) in the Amore's Italian Restaurant Mixed League at AMF Venice, and Robert Oden had a 153-over 765 series (274-278-213) in the Yoder Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes.
Other high-score reports from area bowling establishments included:
- AMF BRADENTON LANES: William Farmer 279, Doug Lewis 279, Johnny Wetter Jr. 279, Charles Fletcher 278, Justin Henderson 268, Pepe Smith 267, David Turner 266, Paul Farmer 266, Larry Woodruff 754, Nick Praessel 732, Peter Varga Jr. 716. Jesse Cabral 707; Carolyn Evans 242, Judy Alderman 234, Paula Wenzel 761, Angel Revels 619.
- TREASURE LANES: Joe Tocco 279, Jeff Reed 278-717, Jerry Lord 277-707, Chuck Roame 277, Mike Aleshire 270-784, Corey Cyr 268, D.J. June 267, John Holmes 267, Joe DiFranco 267, David Vale 265-720, Anthony Hauss 265-711, Jordan Ray 265, John Davis 710; Renae Gross 258-691 and 242-668, Jennifer Peacock 247-662, Wendy Aldridge 233-618, Heatherly Faulkner 233, Kim Blue 228.
- SARASOTA LANES: Glenn Reed 279, Ken Fuger 277, Dillon Eisenhauer 276-714 and 735, Steven Baran 269-757, Richard McLaughlin Jr. 268, Robert Torres 268, Jerry Gow 266-727, Saul Insignares 266, Steve Albritton 716, Dave Grether 714, Carl Sawyer III 704, Anthony Bongiovanni 701.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Daniel Gassera 279 and 277-762, Nelson Sherrill 279, John Hoppe 278, Frank Mauro 276, Jason Gottfried 268; Kris Boone 244-687, Mickeal Paige 234 and 604, Pat Anderson 617, Lisa Molitor 615, Dawn Vuolo 603, Gina Gattuso 602, Jill Harper 601.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Charles Frenz 268, Dave Cottrill 733, Matt Aiken 714; Yvonne Pippin 232-608, Mary Stary 229-637, Dolores Meyers 604.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: John Stempien 268.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]