Sen. John McCain is still searching for answers in what he refers to a as a “massive cover-up” in the attacks on U. S. diplomats in Benghazi, Libya last year, according to a Feb. 17 Fox8.com report. “The information has not been forthcoming,” McCain said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Feb. 17. “I know that it hasn’t, and I will be glad to send you a list of questions that have not been answered.”
The senator has been unrelenting in his quest for answers on the Benghazi matter, and no one from former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton to incoming Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel or President Obama has been exempt from his probing. Four Americans died in the attacks, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.
McCain is focusing his current probe on President’s Obama’s actions, and also wants answers to why consulate evacuees were not interviewed then. “They would have known that it was not a spontaneous demonstration,” he said, which the government had claimed at the time. Later intelligence showed it was a planned terrorist attack.
Last week, the White House responded with a letter to Congress answering some questions about the President Obama’s communication with the Libyan president. McCain said he was satisfied with the answers, but believes there are still many lingering questions.
“Why did the president … for two weeks, during the heat of the campaign, continue to say he didn’t know whether it was a terrorist attack or not? Is it because it interfered with the line of ‘al Qaeda is decimated and everything is fine in that part of the world’? Maybe. We don’t know. But we need the answers. Then we’ll reach conclusions. But we have not received the answers, and that’s a fact.”
According to Fox8.com, White House Chief of Staff Dennis McDonough said, in a separate “Meet the Press” appearance that President Obama is committed to finding out what happened in Benghazi to make certain the government does everything it can to avoid a similar situation.
For inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.