As Elton John said “Saturday night’s alright for fightin,” and this Saturday is no exception as Floyd “Money” Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is set to take place from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to a USA Today report on Sept. 13, the prefight weigh-in had the excitement and feel of the fight itself.
The MGM opened the full arena for a weigh-in for the first time, and so many fans showed up that security had to turn some away!
In what may have been the most exciting prefight and weigh-in results in the history of boxing, over 12,000 people packed the MGM arena in order to take it all in. If the prefight is any indication of how the fight may go, Alvarez will be well supported.
Almost 80% of the fans who showed up for the weigh-in were reportedly supporting Alvarez. Alvarez may have fan support, but does this huge underdog have a shot at beating Mayweather?
Las Vegas odds makers have Mayweather at -280, with the comeback on Alvarez at +220.
That's quite interesting in itself.
Usually gamblers stay away from big boxing matches because the odds aren't worth taking, but these odds are lower than most thought they would be.
- Light Welterweight -- Danny García vs. Lucas Matthysse
- Light Middleweight -- Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Amado Molina
- Welterweight Ashley -- Theophane vs. Pablo César Cano
- Super Middleweight -- Ronald Gavril vs. Shujaa El Amin
- Middleweight -- Christopher Pearson vs. Josh Williams
- Super Middleweight -- Lanell Bellows vs. Jordan Moore