May 4 is Star Wars Day to legions of fans and Discovery Place is hosting a big celebration. The greeting of the day is “May the fourth be with you”, a play on the familiar movie phrase, “May the force be with you” and the date, May fourth.
Visitors, who are welcome to appear in costume, will experience our far, far away galaxy as only Discovery Place can make it happen. Speaking of visitors, Princess Leia, the Jedi, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and more characters from the popular Star Wars film series will be there to mix and mingle. Vader’s Fist 501 Legion, dedicated to accurate Star Wars costuming, will “spread the magic of the Star Wars genre.”
Other activities listed on the Discovery Place website include:
- In A Galaxy Far, Far Away Star Show - Take a trip among the stars in our portable planetarium show. Educators will guide you on an out-of-this-world exploration of the solar system.
- Fired Up! Planet Alderaan Edition - Oxygen, heat and fuel form the fire triangle, but when dark forces are involved, who knows what will happen! Join Discovery Place Educators and special lab assistant Darth Vader for this explosive show.
- Sub-Zero, Hoth Edition - Explore cold chemistry that can be found on the planet Hoth, the desolate world covered with ice and snow. A lot can happen at -321 degrees!
- Hubble - Take a journey into the stars without even leaving your seat! Witness the death of star and birth of a galaxy millions of light years away with images from the Hubble telescope on the largest IMAX screen in the Carolinas.
- Young Padawan Parade - For younger guests, join Princess Leia in KidScience for a special Padawan costume parade (for guests ages 7 and younger).
- May The Force Be With You Mini Light Sabers - Take the force home with you in this special light saber workshop. Construct your own light saber using 3D-printed parts and LED lights (while supplies last).
Visit www.Discoveryplace.org for admission and scheduling details. Visitors are asked not to bring any weapons, fake or otherwise, with them to Discovery Place.