The theme of this year's events is Youth Overcoming Trauma. The National Federation for Families for Children's Mental Health explains that:
- Mental health is essential to overall health and well being.
- Serious emotional and mental health disorders in children and youth are real and treatable.
- Children and youth with mental health challenges and their families deserve access to services and supports that are family driven, youth guided and culturally appropriate.
- Values of acceptance, dignity and social inclusion should be promoted throughout all communities for children, youth and families.
- Family and youth voice is a valued asset in determining appropriate services and interventions.
As a parent, keep attuned to your child's mental health. Personality, appetite, sleep and school behavior changes are all signs of a mental health concern. Mental health is as important as physical health for your child.
In Columbus, families with children who have mental health concerns can contact Columbus Public Health for a service referral.