National Children's Mental Health Awareness Month is dedicated to increasing public awareness of childrens' mental health issues. Children's mental health affects the whole family unit.
The theme of this year's events is Youth Overcoming Trauma. The National Federation for Families for Children's Mental Health explains that:
- Mental health is essential to overall health and well being.
- Serious emotional and mental health disorders in children and youth are real and treatable.
- Children and youth with mental health challenges and their families deserve access to services and supports that are family driven, youth guided and culturally appropriate.
- Values of acceptance, dignity and social inclusion should be promoted throughout all communities for children, youth and families.
- Family and youth voice is a valued asset in determining appropriate services and interventions.
As a parent, keep attuned to your child's mental health. Personality, appetite, sleep and school behavior changes are all signs of a mental health concern. Mental health is as important as physical health for your child.
In Columbus, families with children who have mental health concerns can contact Columbus Public Health for a service referral.