May is Bike month here in Ohio and especially in Columbus.
Columbus has hundreds of miles of bike trains criss-crossing the city, from scenic routes along the Olentangy River and Alum Creek to downtown bike lanes for commuters who prefer a healthier way to get around.
Here are some of the benefits of bike riding.
- Riding your bike to work is a low cost way to commute.
- Riding your bike releases endorphins in your brain, lowering your stress level.
- Biking increases your energy level and may help you to be more productive at work and at home.
- Biking saves you money compared to the cost of gas or even a bus pass.
- Bikes have a low carbon footprint and are environmentally friendly compared to cars.
- Biking burns 300 or more calories per hour, meaning you get a great workout in a short amount of time.
- Biking cuts down on air pollution due to decreased traffic.
For more information on Bike Month, visit Columbus Public Health.