From Canadian filmmaker Jonathan Sobol comes the smart and captivating heist comedy film The Art of the Steal, which he wrote and directed. It features a star-studded cast that includes Kurt Russell, Jay Baruchel, Matt Dillon, Kenneth Welsh, Chris Diamantopoulos, Katheryn Winnick, Jason Jones, Terence Stamp and Devon Bostick.
After a heist goes wrong, art thief Crunch Calhoun’s scheming half-brother Nicky sets him up to take the fall, landing Crunch in a Polish prison for 7 years. Upon his release in 5.5 years (for good behavior), Crunch gives up his past life and works as a third-rate motorcycle daredevil alongside his girlfriend Lola and apprentice Francie, barely making ends meet. When Nicky surfaces with a stolen Georges Seurat painting, Crunch is lured back into the con game for one last lucrative score.
With Francie at his side, Crunch meets with his old team -- the well-connected Uncle Paddy and master forger Guy -- and begrudgingly agrees to work with now seemingly remorseful Nicky once more. The plan is to steal Gutenberg’s second priceless historical book called the Gospel According to James from a Canada customs warehouse that will make them rich. As they make preparations -- using a large plastic sculpture of a woman’s genitalia as a transport compartment to swap a forgery for the real book, a suspicious, hot-headed Interpol field agent wannabe is hot on their trail with help from the former art thief Samuel Winter -- believing they have the Seurat painting.
Despite some hiccups and close calls, the crew successfully steal the book, but Nicky is up to his old tricks and double-crosses them. However, this time Crunch and the remaining gang, along with Lola, are ready with a counterplan to teach Nicky a lesson about honor among thieves and make this the job they will be remembered for.
- Kurt Russell as Crunch Calhoun
- Jay Baruchel as Francie Tobin
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Guy de Cornet
- Matt Dillon as Nicky Calhoun
- Katheryn Winnick as Lola
- Terence Stamp as Samuel Winter
- Devon Bostick as Ponch
- Jason Jones as Interpol Agent Bick
- Kenneth Welsh as ‘Uncle’ Paddy MacCarthy
- Karyn Dwyer as Ginger
- Elle Downs as Female Border Guard
- Durward Allen as Julius Friedman
- Rob deLeeuw as Van Der Beer
- Christopher Dyson as Ranking Officer
- Jasmin Geljo as Detective Brodowski
- Commentary with Writer/Director Jonathan Sobol and Producer Nicholas Tabarrok
- Doing the Crime: Making The Art of the Steal
- The Making of The Theft of the Mona Lisa
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.