Greg and Joey Morelli, the owners of Max's Delicatessen & Restaurant in Highland Park, have introduced "Family Night Wednesdays" from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays through March. That means free S'more-making for the kids and half-price wine for adult dine-in customers.
And to celebrate January as National Soup Month, the brothers are offering these specialty soups. With the Polar Vortex whipping at our heels, they are sure to satisfy.
- Chicken Noodle Soup -- Chicken broth with traditional skinny egg noodles, big chunks of chicken, carrots and celery.
- Kreplach Soup -- A meat-filled Jewish dumpling, similar to Italian ravioli, Polish pierogi and Chinese wontons, in a chicken broth.
- Matzo Ball Soup -- Matzo balls the size of baseballs in a rich chicken broth and just a hint of dill.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup -- Shiitake and crimini mushrooms, good-quality white wine, fresh herbs like thyme and heavy cream make for a gourmet soup.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup -- A velvety smooth vegetarian soup loaded with flavor.
In addition to their food, the Morelli brothers are also known locally as the Food Fight Brothers, check out their new blog that is sparking great debates over food.
Max's Delicatessen & Restaurant
Address: 191 Skokie Valley Road, Highland Park, IL 60035
Hours: 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays