When you open your child’s notebook and spy a different math layout it is by virtue of the Common Core State Standards’ great expectation. The changes to the math curriculum begin with the laying of a strong foundation. Students will be introduced to mathematics as early as kindergarten and a building blocks of subjects will follow.
Math lesson plans in the elementary grades will have a smaller concentration. Which means that basic math will be introduced on a gradual level ensuring that students when promoted to the grade level are fully prepared for the succeeding math level.
The text book approach will encompass these learning approach:
1. Students will no longer just have the equal to answers.
2. Students will show and explain how they came about the answers.
3. Students will learn addition and subtraction
4. Students learn multiplication and division
5. Next they learn fractions
6. Then Algebra
7. At all levels students will be taught memorization techniques for math concepts and facts
8. Homework will be practice of the math topic
9. Class work and homework will help students apply math to everyday living.
These changes should prepare your child for success, if they are not in your child’s notebook consult with your child’s teacher.