UTC Aerospace systems has an opening for a Materials Laboratory Technician. The position prepares samples for metallographic examination by sectioning, grinding, polishing, etching, and mounting specimens for microscopic examination, and grain size measurements.
- Digital image capturing for engineering and report references.
- Perform hardness testing using Rockwell and microhardness methods.
- Orchestrate workload in the Metallographic Lab in an oftentime fast paced work environment.
- Perform activities related to general lab operations including record keeping, equipment preventative maintenance and calibration, 5S maintaining a stock of supplies and consumables.
- High School Diploma, Associate technical degree preferred. Background in metallography.
- Minimum 3 years experience required in metallurgical lab work.
- Experience in machining would be a plus.
- Experience in general lab work and fluid analysis would be a plus.
- Pays close attention to detail with focus on accuracy of results, while capable of handling multiple projects and meeting established deadlines.
- Good time management and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a teaming environment.
- Analytical mindset and ability to troubleshoot.
- Familiarity of safety practices in a laboratory environment.
- Has a continuous improvement mindset.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook).
United Technologies Aerospace Systems is among the largest global suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and industrial products. The Materials Laboratory is part of the Materials Science & Engineering dept., a team providing failure analysis, design support, materials characterization, contamination analysis, and operations support to the company. The Materials Lab. provides a vast range of services and handles many different kinds of materials ranging from fluids to polymers to alloys. Many projects the laboratory supports are unique and not routine in nature. The Materials Lab. Tech. will provide support to the Materials Science & Engineering Dept. and report to the Materials Lab. Manager.
Apply to: UTC Hamilton Sundstrand, Human Resources, 4747 Harrison Avenue, Rockford, IL 61108 - (815) 226 - 6000.
UTC is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Employer