A 16-year old Massachusetts girl and her family have been awarded $63 million in a lawsuit against Johnson and Johnson for damages experienced when the girl had an allergic reaction to Children's Motrin. According to a report on Feb. 14, Philly.com, Samantha Rekis lost 90 percent of her skin and was blinded from a rare situation called toxic epidermal necrolysis after using the product at seven years old. She also suffered brain damage and respiratory system problems, leaving her with only 20 percent lung capacity.
The event happened in 2003, and the Rekis family filed the lawsuit in 2007, alleging that Johnson and Johnson failed to adequately warn consumers of the prospect of an allergic reaction such as this one. The jury that heard the trial recently ruled that the firm award Samantha Rekis $50 million and her parents $6.5 million each.
Johnson and Johnson stated their sympathy for the family, according to Philly.com, but they maintained that the product was labeled in a satisfactory way.