Based on both recent and not-so-recent mass shootings libertarians have learned these important lessons:
1. In accordance with the precedent set by some mass media outlets that called George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin's shooter, a "light-skinned Hispanic," the deceased suspect in the Washington DC Navy Yard shooting, former Ft. Worth, Texas resident Aaron Alexis, cannot possibly be an African-American because that would be racist. Therefore the shooter is obviously an extremely dark-skinned Caucasian. Political correctness trumps all.
2. Shootings on military facilities like the DC Navy Yard are not acts of terrorism. We know this because the self-identified Jihadi mass shooter at Fort Hood was charged with "Workforce Violence." Perhaps the Boston Marathon bombings were really just "Street Crime." Political expediency wins.
3. There is nothing wrong with some "authority" continuing to designate places where mass numbers of people routinely gather as "gun free zones," thereby informing mass murderers that nobody will be shooting back at them when they go there to do their shooting. Feelings defeat rationality.
4. People in authority at places like public and private buildings must know that pasteboard signs that say "No Guns Allowed" are capable of stopping bullets since they just keep on posting them. Ideology trumps reality.
5. Based on the continuing effort by some to further restrict who can carry guns for the purpose of self-defense we now know that the very existence of guns kill people. This is why they call such events "gun violence" rather than "personal violence" and think that severely restricting and outlawing guns will end mass shootings the same way that the war on drugs successfully put an end to the recreational use of Some Drugs, how the war on poverty put an end to poor people, how President Bush's war on Iraq ended that country's possession of weapons of mass destruction and how the war on terror ended with President Obama's unilateral pronouncement that "The core of al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan is on the way to defeat," becoming his own version of "Mission Accomplished." Political posturing dominates everything.
Since no political or media talking head will suggest that all anti-gun laws should be abolished so individual citizens can take responsibility for protecting themselves we know that these issues aren't about "preventing gun violence," they're about authoritarians keeping everyone like fish in a barrel so they can keep their power, control, egos and ideological purity.
See the associated slideshow to learn the Anti-Gun Vocabulary.
Don't miss a DALLAS LIBERTARIAN EXAMINER article: Subscribe to my email alerts and then have fun hitting all those other social media buttons too.
North Texas Libertarians! Send me stories, photos, videos for publication in the Dallas Libertarian Examiner: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more Reed: national news and commentary at Libertarian News Examiner.
Also twiddling with Twitter and fiddling with Facebook.