When Va Bene, an expensive Italian restaurant, opened in Shanghai local residents chuckled. In Italian restaurant's name means “it goes well” but in Shanghainese it sounds like something else. To find our what, click here.
There are many stories of how the translation of a product or service have doomed them to death. Care must be taken, including research in multiple languages, to create the right impression for the consumer.
One helpful aid is a book by Neil Taylor called The Name of the Beast. Taylor looks at how a name can differentiate the company and product line from all others in the marketplace in a clear, concise and easy to follow system. Unlike many other product naming books, this one pays particular insight as to the legal and linguistic implications of a name.
This naming faux pas is one of a series from Rochester Hills, Mich., based Max Impact. Their website offers a bounty of complimentary information to aid entrepreneurs and human resources specialists in building teamwork, business leadership and business strategy. This is an excerpt from their website.
© Max Impact, used by permission.
Marketing by the numbers
- 10 Marketing Secrets All Business Owners Must Know that coaches and marketing experts won't tell you!
- 15 Marketing Trends In 2013, and how your business can use them.
- 57 Hot Business Marketing Strategies: offline and online marketing techniques, tips and tricks from successful entrepreneurs
- 500 Social Media Marketing Tips: essential advice, hints and strategy for business about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn and more!
- 7 Deadly sins of signage.
- 5 Deadly small business mistakes.
- Top tips for using Linked In- a series of the top three best practices for using Linked In to build business.
- Top marketing mistakes- includes a humorous video of leading marketing mistakes.
- Differentiate the right way- a series of articles about best practices in attracting customers.