Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Mariners get back in winners circle

A-League 2013-14 Round 21: Central Coast Mariners v Sydney FC-slide0
Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images

Facing the worst losing streak in their history the Central Coast Mariners managed to just avoid it as they managed a 2-1 win over Sydney FC at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday night.

Mariners players celebrate Kim's goal
Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images

The weather was hardly a great advert for the Central Coast with a downpour making conditions difficult for both sides who struggled to maintain possession.

After the 20th minute the Mariners started to come in to the match with Kim Seung-young having two chances that were well saved by Vedran Janjetovic.

It didn’t take long for Kim to get the goal though, as a free-kick in the 26th minute allowed the Korean to score a stunning goal as a small wall allowed him to curl the ball past the wall and in to the back of the net.

Alessandro Del Piero was trying to be the dangerous player that he can be but was struggling to break through a stern Mariners defense who was strengthened by having scored a goal.

That Mariners defense did take a hit in the 39th minute as Eddie Bosnar was forced off the park with an injury that brought Storm Roux on to the field in his stead.

Alessandro Del Piero was dangerous for Sydney FC throughout the final stages of the first half but couldn’t break through as the Mariners took a 1-0 lead in to the break.

In the 54th minute Sydney FC nearly found an equalizer as Del Piero hit an impressive free-kick that was matched by a great Liam Reddy save, palming it on to the post.

On the hour mark Sydney FC did find their equalizer as Richie Garcia was able to get around the Mariners defense and sneak in a goal from a very tight angle.

Sydney FC and the Mariners were going for the match, with neither side wanting to settle for a draw as they went for the match in a quick match.

In the 66th minute Mitchell Duke could well have put the Mariners back in front but Janjetovic rushed out of his goal to make the save.

Duke would not be denied nine minutes later as he powered his effort home to put the Mariners back in front.

The result leaves Sydney FC without a win in Gosford since August 2008, and pushes the Mariners back up to fifth.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad