A bag of weed at a Sonic fast food restaurant was not what one customer ordered, but received anyway. Who knew it was on the menu?
Police in Maryland say Carla McFarland, found marijuana in an order of Sonic French fries and things went from bad to worse -- at least for one employee of the burger chain. According to a June 29 Canada Journal news report, after the bag of pot was discovered in the Sonic fries, the worker was fired immediately.
The marijuana bag at Sonic was found by the quick-thinking woman, just as she and her two children were preparing to enjoy their meal, which included fries.
Shocked over the pot in the Sonic fries, the woman angrily approached the unit's manager and then called the local police in Frederick.
I just kind of sat there in my car in shock. I kept thinking, what if my kids had eaten it? I definitely can’t say that they didn’t go out of their way. I honestly think they were more in shock than I was," said McFarland.
Reportedly, management confronted the staff about the disturbing find and one of them confessed; the dime bag of weed fell out of their apron. And acting on the advice of the Sonic franchiser owner, the worker's employment was terminated.
Authorities took possession of the marijuana bag in the Sonic fry order, but have not filed charges against the worker at this point. Besides, with a current move in the public to legalize marijuana, pot use has become more widespread and police are shying away from charging individuals with possession in some cases.
As the incident became fodder on social media, the mother of two shared her sentiments:
I think that’s why everyone thinks it's so funny, because it’s marijuana and it’s going to be legalized. It could have been crack. It could have been cocaine in that little baggie."
Stay tuned for more on this developing story.