March 8 is International Women’s Day, a global celebration of women’s accomplishments and a day for advocating women’s rights and gender equality. The UN declared this year’s theme as “A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women.”
There are many things you can do to honor women’s efforts, either those who have made great strides internationally, or just to honor women who make a difference in your life:
- Donate to a women’s empowerment non-profit organization, like Kiva.org, Heifer International or Care.org.
- Send an Oxfam America’s free International Women’s Day e-greeting card to honor the amazing women you know.
- Walk across a bridge, a tradition started by two program directors for Women for Women working in Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo which symbolizes the unity of genders.
- Give a woman a flower, a symbol for International Women’s Day. In Russia, among other countries, the tradition is to give women pink tulips and yellow mimosas, and flowers put a smile on everybody’s face.
- Organize your own event using this International Women’s Day house party toolkit.
Click here to search International Women’s Day events by country.