From the late renown Australian filmmaker Craig Lahiff comes his last film Swerve, a gripping neo-noir thriller about one man taking a wrong turn and finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Written and directed by Lahiff, critically acclaimed Australian actors Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty, The Great Gatsby, TV’s Brotherhood) and David Lyons (TV’s Revolution, TV’s The Cape, Eat Pray Love) who have made quite an impressive name for themselves in the U.S. return home to join an Australian star-studded cast that includes Emma Booth (TV’s Underbelly, Introducing the Dwights), Travis McMahon (TV’s Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, Cactus) and Vince Colosimo (TV’s Janet King, The Great Gatsby, TV’s Spartacus: War of the Damned). Prior to Lahiff’s passing on February 2, 2014, Swerve was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy produced by Helen Leake, one of Australia’s top feature film producers. In a tribute on its website, the South Australian Film Corporation remembers Lahiff “as individual a director as Australia has ever had and his films will be remembered.”
Set against the breathtaking yet unforgiving Australian outback, Colin drives cross-country to a job interview and plays it safe when he experiences car problems. Taking a shortcut to a one horse town, he comes across a fatal car accident -- witnessing a two-car crash that leaves one driver decapitated. As a good samaritan, he rescues a shaken but unhurt young, beautiful woman named Jina and an ownerless suitcase full of cash from the wreckage. Resisting temptation, he does the right thing and turns the suitcase into the local cop named Frank, who turns out to be crooked and the jealous husband of Jina. His good deed prompts a series of fateful events to unfold -- including the wrath of a murderous thug who is after the cash -- and stalls any plans to leave town and be on his way.
The DVD and Blu-ray both contain bonus material, including interviews with the cast and crew.
You can also check out some of Lahiff’s other popular films including Black and White (with Robert Carlyle, Charles Dance and Kerry Fox), Heaven's Burning (starring Russell Crowe who was born in New Zealand and grew up in Australia), Strangers (TV movie) and Fever (Lahiff’s first feature film where he was nominated Best Director by the Australian Film Institute).
Swerve Blu-ray Giveaway:
FIVE lucky readers will win a free copy of Swerve on Blu-ray thanks to Cohen Media Group.
- "Like" this article at the top of the page.
- Share this article with your friends at the top of the page and tweet #SwerveMovie.
- Subscribe to get the latest news and best deals on DVD and Blu-ray releases.
- Send an email with the subject line SWERVE BLU-RAY GIVEAWAY to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Mailing Address (no P.O. Boxes please)
- Email address
Entries will be accepted beginning 12:01 AM Eastern Time ("ET") on March 18, 2014, and ending 11:59 PM ET on April 7, 2014. Five winners will be chosen randomly from the entries received and will be notified by email. The winners will have 3 days to respond to the email before alternate winners will be chosen. Good luck!
- Jason Clarke as Frank
- Emma Booth as Jina
- David Lyons as Colin
- Travis McMahon as Charlie
- Vince Colosimo as Sam
- Roy Billing as Good Samaritan
- Robert Mammone as Logan
- Chan Griffin as Tran
- Chris Haywood as Armstrong
- Greg Stone as Publican
- Interviews with Cast and Crew
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.