From Primetime Emmy-winning British film director Brian Percival comes the inspiring and extremely moving World War II drama film The Book Thief. Adapted from Markus Zusak’s beloved bestselling book of the same name by screenwriter Michael Petroni, it features a powerful cast that includes Oscar nominee Emily Watson, Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush, Sophie Nélisse, Ben Schnetzer, Nico Liersch and Joachim Paul Assböck. The Book Thief’s incredible score by John Williams was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Best Original Score.
Set in Nazi Germany, young Liesel Meminger is adopted by a German couple, Hans and Rosa Hubermann, when her mother can no longer care for her after the death of her brother. Although Liesel arrives illiterate, she is encouraged by her foster father to learn to read when he finds her with a book she had picked up at her brother’s funeral to remind her of him. She also befriends the neighbor boy Rudy, who becomes her best friend. The two are inseparable and he becomes smitten with her -- often asking her for a kiss.
When World War II breaks out and books are burned, Liesel ends up hiding a book that survived. Seen by the mayor’s wife, she shows Liesel the magnificent library in her home and shares it with her. However when the mayor finds out and puts a stop to the visits, she finds solace in stealing books from their home library to read, earning the nickname “The Book Thief.” She shares the books with a Jewish refugee named Max Vandenburg who has come to live under the stairs in her home. He was taken in by the Hubermanns when he and his mother were in danger because his father once saved Hans’s life during World War I. The two bond over books as Liesel reads to Max while he hides from Hitler’s army and is nursed back to health. The words and imagination provide them an escape from the frightening reality unfolding around them. Through Max’s encouragement, Liesel even finds her own voice and begins to weave her own tales. Liesel’s spirit, courage and love for books ultimately transforms the lives of everyone around her, helping them cope with the years of unimaginable World War II horrors during the Nazis’ reign of terror.
- Geoffrey Rush as Hans Hubermann
- Sophie Nélisse as Liesel Meminger
- Emily Watson as Rosa Hubermann
- Ben Schnetzer as Max Vandenburg
- Nico Liersch as Rudy Steiner
- Joachim Paul Assböck as SS Officer
- Sandra Nedeleff as Sarah
- Hildegard Schroedter as Frau Becker
- Rafael Gareisen as Walter Kugler
- Gotthard Lange as Gravedigger
- Godehard Giese as Policeman on train
- Roger Allam as Death
- Barbara Auer as Ilsa Hermann
- Heike Makatsch as Liesel's Mother
- Carina Wiese as Barbara Steiner
DVD Special Features:
- Deleted Scenes
- Theatrical Trailer
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- A Hidden Truth: Bringing The Book Thief To Life
- Best Buy - The Book Thief Blu-ray with $7 toward The Book Thief e-book.
Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray with $7 e-book offer - $19.99
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.