For the very first time, Steven Spielberg’s Academy Award-winning film Schindler’s List comes to Blu-ray in honor of its 20th anniversary. Supervised by Spielberg himself, the black-and-white film has been meticulously restored from the original 35mm film negative in pristine high definition. The historically significant and powerful masterpiece is still as riveting and moving today as it was 20 years ago. It won seven Oscars including Best Director and Best Picture for Spielberg, and Best Original Score for composer John Williams. In 2007, Schindler’s List was ranked 8th in the American Film Institute’s list of the 100 best American films of all time.
Adapted from Australian novelist Thomas Keneally's Schindler’s Ark, Spielberg’s Schindler’s List tells the extraordinary true story of German businessman Oskar Schindler, a member of the Nazi party who risked his own career and life to save more than 1,100 Jews during the Holocaust. With extraordinary courage, he made a difference during one of the darkest chapters in human history by employing as many Jews as possible in his crockery factory to save them from certain death. By lavishing bribes upon Wehrmacht and SS officials, including the obstinate and cruel SS-Lieutenant Amon Goeth who enjoyed viciously killing Jews, he spent much of his fortune to protect his Jewish workers with the help of his Jewish accountant Itzhak Stern -- who served as his conscience. At the end of the war, he was bankrupt, but successfully saved most of the Jewish workers under his care -- earning their eternal gratitude.
DVD and Blu-ray bonus materials include two featurettes. “Voices from the List” features a documentary with testimonies from those who survived the Holocaust thanks to Oskar Schindler. “USC Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg” shows how filming Schindler's List inspired him to establish the USC Shoah Foundation.
The release of Schindler's List on Blu-ray also marks the beginning of the 20th year of the USC Shoah Foundation – The Institute for Visual History and Education. Inspired by the experience of making Schindler's List, Steven Spielberg established the organization in 1994 to videotape interviews with survivors and other witnesses of the Holocaust. The USC Shoah Foundation's Visual History Archive contains nearly 52,000 testimonies, each encompassing a complete personal history of life before, during and after a subject's first-hand experience with genocide. Through its extensive educational initiatives, including the IWitness website for middle and high school students, hundreds of college courses based on the archive that are being taught at universities on four continents, numerous teacher training programs offered in over 20 countries, and major global research partnerships, the USC Shoah Foundation is dedicated to making its Visual History Archive a compelling voice for education and action. Spielberg considers this the most important work of his professional life and the legacy of Schindler's List. Learn more and view testimony at sfi.usc.edu.
View video: Schindler's List Trailer
- Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler
- Ben Kingsley as Itzhak Stern
- Ralph Fiennes as Amon Göth
- Embeth Davidtz as Helen Hirsch
- Caroline Goodall as Emilie Schindler
- Jonathan Sagall as Poldek Pfefferberg
- Ezra Dagan as Rabbi Lewartow
- Małgorzata Gebel as Wiktoria Klonowska
- Shmuel Levy as Wilek Chilowicz
- Mark Ivanir as Marcel Goldberg
- Béatrice Macola as Ingrid
- Andrzej Seweryn as Julian Scherner
- Friedrich von Thun as Rolf Czurda
- Krzysztof Luft as Herman Toffel
- Harry Nehring as Leo John
- Norbert Weisser as Albert Hujar
- Adi Nitzan as Mila Pfefferberg
- Michael Schneider as Juda Dresner
- Miri Fabian as Chaja Dresner
- Anna Mucha as Danka Dresner
- Albert Misak as Mordecai Wulkan
- Hans-Michael Rehberg as Rudolf Höss
- Daniel Del Ponte as Josef Mengele
- Voices from the List: Featuring documentary with testimonies from those who survived the Holocaust thanks to Oskar Schindler.
- USC Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg: The director shows how filming Schindler's List inspired him to establish the USC Shoah Foundation.
Release Date: April 8, 2013
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.