From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, the director of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, comes the highly anticipated epic fantasy adventure film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which he directed. The screenplay was written by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro. Jackson also produced the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. It is the first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, taking the audience once again into the fantastical world of Middle-earth. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects, Best Production Design and Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. Also reprising their roles from The Lord of the Rings are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Ian Holm as Old Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The international ensemble cast also includes James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Barry Humphries, Aidan Turner, Dean O'Gorman, Graham McTavish, Adam Brown, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Jed Brophy, William Kircher, Stephen Hunter, Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Manu Bennett and Conan Stevens.
In this prequel to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, it is hobbit Bilbo Baggins’ 111th birthday and he sits down to write the story of his adventure 60 years ago when he was a young lad to share with his nephew Frodo. The tale begins one day when wizard Gandalf the Grey comes to visit the Shire and young Bilbo plays host to his company of 13 Dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. A merry evening turns into an epic quest when he gets recruited to be the Dwarves’ “burglar” to help them steal a treasure and reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug.
Soon after the journey begins, the company must outwit Trolls and then travel through treacherous lands swarming with Orcs and deadly Wargs in the Wild. They also encounter a wizard named Radagast the Brown who warns of a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer who is using dark magic. Escaping to Rivendell, elf Lord Elrond reads Thorin’s map that points the company east to the Lonely Mountains. Traveling into the Misty Mountains, they find themselves amid a colossal battle between Stone Giants and then captured by Goblins. While the Dwarves try to figure out how to escape the Goblin tunnels, Bilbo becomes separated from the them and meets Gollum, the creature who will change him forever.
Alone with Gollum, Bilbo discovers his hidden inner courage and ingenuity as he plays a riddle game to survive. When he gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring, little does he know of its immense power and how such a simple gold ring ties to the fate of all Middle-earth. For brave Bilbo of the Shire, his adventure has just begun.
DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D special features include a full suite of Peter Jackson’s production videos. Enter Middle-earth of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as Academy Award-winning director Peter Jackson takes you behind the scenes, on location and amidst the star-studded cast in a series of video journals that puts you in the forefront of latest in filmmaking with more than two hours of additional content. Highlights of the journals include start of production, location scouting, filming in 3D, post-production overview and Wellington world premiere.
An extended edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released just in time for the 2013 holidays.
The second film of the Hobbit Trilogy, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, is set to release on December 13, 2013. The third film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for July 18, 2014.
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. Eastern/Noon Pacific, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Hobbit Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film. Visit TheHobbit.com/Sneak for more information.
View video: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Trailer
One lucky reader will win a The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack thanks to Warner Home Video and PartnersHub.
- Check out the The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey widget that features:
Are You 100% Hobbit Quiz! What has a tendency to be very brave, is around 4 ft. tall with sharp eyesight, little to no facial hair, and loves cake? If you thought we were talking about you, then you might be a Hobbit Indeed! Take the quiz to find out just how much of a Hobbit you are!
Creatures of Middle-earth! Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves are just a few of the magical creatures that call Middle-earth home. Check out vital stats and unique features about each one!
The Hobbit Handbook! Our Hobbit Handbook includes everything you need to throw the best viewing party in Middle-earth right at home.
- "Like" this article at the top of the page and share with us your results from the "Are You 100% Hobbit Quiz" in the comments section at the bottom of this article.
- Subscribe to get the latest news and best deals on DVD and Blu-ray releases.
- Send an email with the subject line THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY PRIZE GIVEAWAY to email@example.com with the following details:
- Email address
Entries will be accepted beginning 12:01 AM Eastern Time ("ET") on March 18, 2013, and ending 11:59 PM ET on April 2, 2013. One winner will be chosen randomly from the entries received and will be notified by email. The winner will have 3 days to respond to the email before an alternate winner will be chosen. See official rules for more details. Good luck!
- Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
- Ian Holm as an old Bilbo Baggins
- Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey
- Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
- Hugo Weaving as Elrond
- Christopher Lee as Saruman the White
- Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown
- Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins
- Andy Serkis as Gollum
- Manu Bennett as Azog the Defiler
- Lee Pace as the Elvenking Thranduil
- Benedict Cumberbatch as The Necromancer of Dol Guldur
- Barry Humphries as the Great Goblin
- John Rawls as Yazneg
- Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
- Graham McTavish as Dwalin
- Ken Stott as Balin
- Aidan Turner as Kíli
- Dean O'Gorman as Fíli
- Mark Hadlow as Dori
- Jed Brophy as Nori
- Adam Brown as Ori
- John Callen as Óin
- Peter Hambleton as Glóin
- William Kircher as Bifur
- James Nesbitt as Bofur
- Stephen Hunter as Bombur
- Bret McKenzie as Lindir
- Kiran Shah as Goblin Scribe
- Jeffrey Thomas as Thrór
- Michael Mizrahi as Thráin II
Full Suite of Peter Jackson’s Production Videos. Enter Middle-earth of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as Academy Award-winning Director Peter Jackson takes you behind the scenes, on location and amidst the star-studded cast in a series of video journals that puts you in the forefront of latest in filmmaking with more than two hours of additional content. Highlights of the journals include:
- Video Blog #1: Start of Production - April 14, 2011 (10:27)
- Video Blog #2: Location Scouting - July 9, 2011 (10:17)
- Video Blog #3: Shooting Block One - July 21, 2011 (13:23)
- Video Blog #4: Filming in 3D - November 4, 2011 (10:41)
- Video Blog #5: Locations Part 1 - December 24, 2011 (12:02)
- Video Blog #6: Locations Part 2 - March 2, 2012 (12:23)
- Video Blog #7: Stone St. Studios Tour - June 6, 2012 (13:57)
- Video Blog #8: "Wrap of Principal Photography - July 24, 2012 (14:37)
- Video Blog #9: "Post-production Overview - November 24, 2012 (10:00)
- Video Blog #10: "Wellington World Premiere - December 14, 2012 (10:00)
Check out the slideshow to see all these exclusives and m ore.
- Best Buy - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack with exclusive Bilbo Baggins / Gollum lenticular cover artwork packaging and "A Hobbit's Tale, Part 1: The Journey Begins" documentary. Pre-order now and watch the 30-minute documentary in HD via CinemaNow now.
- Target - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack with Bilbo Baggins LEGO minifigure and behind-the-scenes featurette.
- Walmart - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 64-page Blu-ray Book with DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy. Pre-order today in-store and receive a collectible 3D card (choice of Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf or Thorin), an UltraViolet version of the movie as early as March 12, 2013 and exclusive content accessible on Vudu.
- Warner Bros. - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack with 8"x20" Thorin Oakenshield and the Dwarves panoramic poster.
- $3 mail-in rebate when you buy The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack and $11 or more at Papa John's
- Amazon.com - Save $15 when you pre-order The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray Combo Pack or Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and purchase LEGO Lord of the Rings video game - Expires 3/18/13
Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with lenticular cover and 30-minute documentary - $24.99
Target exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with LEGO minifigure and featurette - $22.99
Walmart exclusive Blu-ray Digibook - $22.96 in-store, $26.96 online
Warner Bros. exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with panoramic poster - $34.99
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.
This prize giveaway is not affiliated with Examiner.com. Entries will be accepted beginning 12:01 AM Eastern Time ("ET") on March 18, 2013, and ending 11:59 PM ET on April 2, 2013. One entry per person/e-mail address. If any potential winner selected cannot be contacted or does not respond within 3 days of attempted notification, or any prize is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner shall forfeit any and all rights to a prize and, at Sponsors' sole discretion, an alternate winner may be randomly selected. Entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at Sponsors' servers or elsewhere, will not be eligible. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any person suspected of tampering with the entry process, the operation of the website, or acting otherwise in violation of these Rules. Use of bots or other automated process to enter is prohibited and may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. Sponsors are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of these prize giveaways, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution, or production errors, and may modify or cancel a prize giveaway based upon such an error at their sole discretion, and without liability. Sponsors further reserve the right to cancel, terminate, or modify any promotion not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure, or technical failures of any sort. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Service Provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All decisions of the judges are final. Income and other taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winners. Prize giveaways open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at the date of entry. The odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. Prizes not transferable and there are no substitutions. All entries become the property of Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned. Except where prohibited: (i) acceptance of prize constitutes consent to use winners' names and likenesses for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes, without further compensation; (ii) winners (and travel companion, when necessary) may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. Affidavits and releases must be returned within 14 days of attempted notification or an alternate winner may be randomly chosen. Participation in this prize giveaway constitutes agreement by entrant to release and hold harmless Sponsors, their parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors, and assigns against any and all claims, losses, or liabilities arising out of or relating to participation in this prize giveaway or use, misuse, or redemption of a prize.