The Historic Columbia Foundation will officially open the Mann-Simons Outdoor Exhibit on March 23. Speakers at the event will include Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin, Historic Columbia Executive Director Robin Waites and Dr. Jakob Crockett, the Foundation’s Archaeology Coordinator. The Mann-Simons Site is located at 1403 Richland Street on the corner of Marion.
The exhibit is composed of five 3-D ghost structures, interactive wayside signage and a website illustrating the history of the site. This is a first for South Carolina and one of a handful of its kind in the country.
Although only one house stands today, the Mann-Simons Site historically was a collection of commercial and domestic spaces owned and operated by the same African-American family from at least 1843 until 1970. The property and its multiple buildings changed considerably over time to better accommodate the needs, tastes, and aspirations of this remarkable family.
Free tours will be given between the hours of 12 noon and 5 p.m. At 5:15, Mayor Benjamin, Robin Waites and Dr. Crockett will make brief remarks. There will be multiple photo-ops following the presentation as well as opportunities to speak with individuals involved with the project.
If you would like to receive email updates when new articles are posted, please click the "subscribe" button at the bottom of the page.