A man armed with a sword or machete allegedly injured three people before deputies said they were forced to shoot him Sunday morning in south Hall County.
So far, police have not released the man’s name but they said his injuries were not life-threatening.
“The assailant described as a 27-year old white male was armed with a large edged weapon thought to be a sword or machete,” the sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Mark Mitchell said. “The assailant had already injured three victims when uniformed officers arrived on the scene.”
When officers confronted the suspect he ran to a home in the 2100 block of Grant Street, officials said.
When the suspect allegedly refused the deputies’ orders to lay down his weapon, they deputies attempted to subdue him by using less lethal force, Sgt. Mitchell said.
“The suspect made an aggressive movement toward deputies, and a deputy was forced to fire,” Sgt. Mitchell said. “The assailant received a non-life threatening injury and was transported to a local hospital where he was treated and released into the Hall County Sheriff’s Office custody.”
Though they are withholding the man’s identity, officials said the suspect was charged with four counts of aggravated assault on peace officers and felony obstruction. Pending the results of the on-going investigation, other charges are pending, he said.
Deputies have not released any information on the other three victims or their conditions.
As is the case in any officer related shooting, the GBI has been called in to investigate and the deputy who shot the suspect has been placed on paid administrative leave.
Receive daily news stories and stay current by clicking on the subscribe button at the top of the article and get automatic updates via email each time a new article is published. You may also get quick updates on articles as well as read more local news stories at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlanta-Public-Safety-Examiner/19583707047.