Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Man gets life for killing wife as she was leaving to get protective order

See also

A DeKalb County woman was heading to get a temporary protective order against her husband when she was shot to death and her close friend wounded.

On Wednesday her husband was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 2012 double shooting, according to the district attorney’s office. Jason Bryant was found guilty of malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault and terroristic threats, spokesman Erik Burton said.

“Domestic violence is often characterized by bruises and black eyes, but more often than not we see cases where a victim dies at the hands of a person they may have been married to or dated,” DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James said. “Hopefully, today’s sentence will help the family find closure in knowing that Jason Bryant will never be a free man again.”

The shooting happened on March 7, shortly after Angelena Bryant informed her husband she was filing for a divorce, prosecutors said. Bryant, accompanied by her friend, Trina Nwoke, was on her way to obtain the protective order when they were shot multiple times, officials said.

The day before, Bryant had apparently threatened to kill her, according to the indictment.

The call came in about 11:30 a.m. about the shooting at Windchase Condos at 546 Wind Chase Lane in Stone Mountain, according to DeKalb County police.

Officers arrived to find the two women shot outside an apartment, police spokeswoman Mekka Parish previously said. Bryant was already dead, Parish said. Her friend was transported to the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, Parish said.

Bryant, of Lawrenceville, was seen fleeing the scene in a white, older model Geo Tracker with extensive front end damage, Ms. Parish said.

Shortly after the shooting, DeKalb County investigators had notified authorities at the boy’s school that Bryant would be headed in their direction, Parish said. Around 3 p.m. Duluth police arrested Bryant when he attempted to pick up his son, police said.