Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Man facing attempted murder charge, probation violation in knife attack

See also

A Jackson man is being held on bond after being arraigned Monday on charges in a March 7 early morning knife attack, according to a news release from the Jackson Police Department.

Police said Eddie Howard Pittman, 56, was arraigned in Jackson City Court Monday morning on a charge of attempted first-degree murder in the March 7 knife attack on Simms Street. He was also arraigned on a charge of theft for a January shoplifting from Sears.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Pittman remain in Madison County Jail on a $200,000 bond. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for is 1:30 p.m. on March 20 in city court.

The release said shortly before 3 a.m. Friday, officers were dispatched to a house, located on the 100 block of Wilkinson Street. When they arrive, they found a 25-year-old man, who was outside, with severe cuts to his arm and abdomen. Officers placed a tourniquet on his arm to stop the bleeding until an ambulance arrived. The victim was transported to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital, where he was admitted in serious condition. He was released later that evening.

Police said the victim originally told them that he was in his house, located on the 300 block of Simms Street, when two men forced entry into his house. The victim was attacked with a knife and was able to get away and walk a short distance to the Wilkinson Street house to seek help.

The release said the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force, which is comprised of deputy U.S. Marshals and investigators from the Jackson Police Department's Gang Unit and Jackson-Madison County Metro Narcotics Unit, developed information on Pittman's location. Around 4:30 p.m. March 7, the Marshals Task Force arrested Pittman on the 200 block of Airways Blvd in Jackson, Tenn.

Police said this is not the first time Pittman has been charged with attempted murder.

Pittman, who also has a hold for a hearing on a parole violation, was sentenced to 24 years in prison for attempted second-degree murder for a 1999 attack in Jackson. He was released from prison on parole in November.