Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Man charged with trying to coerce witness in double murder, robbery case

A Murfreesboro man will be arraigned Tuesday morning after being charged with trying to coerce a material witness in a Jan. 15 double murder investigation, according to a Monday afternoon news release from the Jackson Police Department.

Roddarous Marcus Bond, 19, of Murfreesboro, has been charged with attempted coercion of a witness, which is a Class D felony. He remained in Madison County Jail Monday night and will be arraigned Tuesday at 8 a.m. in Jackson City Court, via video feed.
The Jackson Police Department
Markel Owens, an Arkansas State University defensive lineman and his stepfather were shot and killed on Jan. 15 during a home invasion robbery in Jackson. His mother, who was also shot, was treated and release from the hospital later that night.

Police said 19-year-old Roddarous Marcus Bond has been charged with attempted coercion of a witness, which is a Class D felony.

According to Tennessee Code Annotated 39-16-507, “A person commits an offense who, by means of coercion, influences or attempts to influence a witness or prospective witness in an official proceeding with intent to influence the witness to: 1.) testify falsely; 2.) withhold any truthful testimony, truthful information, document or thing; or 3.) elude legal process summoning the witness to testify or supply evidence or to be absent from an official proceeding to which the witness has been legally summoned.”

Bond, who remained in Madison County Jail Monday night, will be arraigned Tuesday at 8 a.m. in Jackson City Court, via video feed.

Police have said that around 9:30 p.m. Jan. 15, officers were dispatched to an apartment duplex, located at 770 Walker Road. Chermaine Owens was lying in the front yard with a gunshot wound.

Her son, 21-year-old Arkansas State University defensive lineman Markel Demario Owens and his stepfather, 36-year-old Johnny Shivers were both found with gunshot wounds inside the apartment. Shivers was apparently deceased on the scene, but Markel

Owens was transported to the Jackson-Madison County General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Chermaine Owens was treated for her injuries and was released that night from Jackson-Madison County General Hospital.

Johnny Lorenzo Wade, 19, and his cousin, 22-year-old Derrick Andreaus Wade, are both facing two counts of felony murder, with attempted first-degree murder, especially aggravated robbery, aggravated assault and tampering with evidence in the incident.

The men are being held with no bond because of the seriousness of the charges they face.

Their cases were bound over to the Madison County grand jury on Feb. 13, following a preliminary hearing.

Following the judge’s ruling, the prosecutor requested that the suspects have no contact with the witnesses or potential witnesses.

The release said on Feb. 4, a material witness began receiving phone calls from the jail, but did not answer. Investigators learned that Johnny Wade had learned the witness' number and later directed Bond to locate the witness. Investigators also learned that Wade had talked about the murder case not being able to continue without the witness.

Investigators later intercepted a three-way phone conversation from the Madison County Jail between Wade and Bond. Wade asked Bond if he had found the witness and Bond said he could not find the witness.

Bond was arrested Sunday morning and booked into jail, the release said.

Police said they expect additional charges to be filed on Johnny Wade for his part in attempting to coerce the witness, the release said.

This is not the first time Bond, who has ties to Jackson, has been charged in connection with a violent crime.

In an August 4, 2013 incident in Jackson, Bond, who was 18 at the time, was facing charges of two counts of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated robbery, burglary of a motor vehicle and theft over $500.

Police said around 5:40 p.m. on Aug. 4, officers were dispatched to Royal Arms Apartments, located at 1580 N. Royal Street, after shots had been fired. Officers arrived and found shell casings in front of the 900 building.

According to an Aug. 16 news release, JPD then received a call to Trinity Food Mart, located at 1586 N. Parkway. A 19-year-old man told police that as he was sitting in his car, which sat in front of the 900 building, he was approached by two men. Bond was identified by investigators as being one of the suspects.

The release said the suspects demanded money and Bond reached into the victim's car window and took the man’s wallet and money that was laying in the car seat. The victim drove away and the two men began shooting, striking the man’s car numerous times. Neither the victim or his two-year-old son, who was also in the car, were struck by the gunfire.

Bond was brought by private vehicle to Jackson-Madison County General Hospital with a gunshot wound shortly afterward, the release said. Bond, who was listed in critical but stable condition, told officers and investigators that he was an innocent bystander who was struck in the back during the gunfire at Royal Arms Apartments.

The release said investigators determined that Bond was one of the robbers and that he was shot by his accomplice during the robbery.

But charges were dropped against Bond on Sept. 12, when Bond was brought before Jackson City Court Judge Blake Anderson. It was announced that the case against Bond was being dismissed because it was the second setting that the victim of the crime didn't show up.

Bond, who was shackled and wearing blue jail clothing, smiled and his family and friends in the courtroom celebrated.

Report this ad