Skip to main content

See also:

Man breaks teeth eating mashed potatoes at Outback Steakhouse

Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
mipolexG/ Flickr

A Portland, OR man got more than he expected when he chomped down on his mashed potatoes at the Outback Steakhouse restaurant in Feb. 2012. According to a Feb. 19 report by the Oregonian, Roger Branstetter crunched down on bits of broken porcelain, cracking two of his molars.

Branstetter’s dentist said that both teeth needed to be pulled and replaced with dental implants as a result of the alleged contaminated potatoes.

Branstetter filed suit against the owner of the franchise to a tune of $48,000, reports KWTX-TV News. Branstetter claims the manager admitted that a plate had broken in the kitchen and that pieces had fallen into the mashed potatoes.

No explanation is given as to why the Outback Steakhouse did not dispose of the mashed potatoes after a plate had broken and contaminated it with bits of broken porcelain.

Jason Bender, managing partner of the five-state franchise, Evergreen Restaurant Group, and owner of the franchise located at 11146 S.W. Barnes Road in Portland, OR , says he has never heard on anyone getting hurt in the restaurant by broken dishes before, but that safety is very important to the restaurant.

Branstetter’s suit, filed on Friday in Multnomah County Circuit Court, cites the Evergreen Restaurant Group for negligence in failing to throw out the mashed potatoes after the plate shattered, and for failing to inform customers of the potential danger lurking inside the mashed potatoes. The claim also contends that the shards of broken porcelain represented a potentially lethal threat to the customer, as a puncture to internal organ could have been fatal.