Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Man, 22, charged with murder in the ambush, shooting of sports bar owner

Mr. Brandon Kirkland, 22, was charged with murder in the shooting of man outside his sports bar in northwest Atlanta.
Mr. Brandon Kirkland, 22, was charged with murder in the shooting of man outside his sports bar in northwest Atlanta.
Fulton County Jail

A 22-year-old man was charged Thursday in the murder of a man who was shot during an ambush that left two others injured last month in northwest Atlanta.

Mr. Brandon Kirkland was charged with murder in the shooting death of Mr. Amin Bouchelaghem outside his sports bar at 1575 Joseph E. Boone Blvd., according to Atlanta police.

The shooting happened around 4:40 p.m. on Dec. 30 in the driveway at Déjà vu Sports Bar and Lounge.

Officers responding to a 911 call of a person shot found Mr. Bouchelaghem unresponsive with a gunshot wound to his head, Mr. Larry Brooks with a “defect” to his back, and Mr. Michael McGee Jr. with injuries to his leg, police spokesman Sgt. Greg Lyon said.

The 40-year-old died at the scene and the other two were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, Sgt. Lyon said.

“The preliminary investigation suggests that listed victims were at the location to conduct a business meeting when two black male suspects approached listed victims with guns drawn,” police spokeswoman Officer Kim Jones said. “The suspects fired several shots at the victims and fled the scene after the gunshots were fired."

Some witnesses told the news media that the two survivors are a man and his son who were helping the club owner, Mr. Bouchelaghem. They were helping him renovate the club when the owner realized he had a dead battery.

The two were helping the owner when they were ambushed.

Mr. Mike McGee said two men came from nowhere and started shooting, according to Channel 2 Action News.

“Me and the other guy was hooking the battery cables up and next thing I know, I see my son take off running and I look around and there's two guys standing there shooting,” Mr. McGee said.

Mr. McGee's son broke his leg jumping off over a wall with a 30-foot drop to get away, the news station reported.

Police believe robbery was the motive. Mr. McGee said he played dead to avoid getting killed.

Mr. Kirkland was transported to the Fulton County jail. He was also charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, possession of firearm during the commission of a felony and aggravated assault with intent to murder, according to booking records.

Receive daily news stories and stay current by clicking on the subscribe button at the top of the article and get automatic updates via email each time a new article is published. You may also get quick updates on articles as well as read more local news stories at:

Report this ad