Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Man, 21, wanted for murder captured with the aid of his mother in Clayton County

See also

A 21-year-old man wanted for murder was arrested Thursday morning – and police said they were able to capture him with the help of his mother.

Joseph Horace Stephens was charged with felony murder, theft by taking, aggravated assault and false imprisonment, according to Clayton County police.

He was charged in the deadly shooting of Goldy Lee Watkins Sr. who he was living with at 6616 Starks Court in Riverdale, police said.

But Watkins had reportedly asked him to leave, Major Joseph Woodall had told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. And that request police believe led to the shooting at Watkins’ home. But Stpehens denied being the shooter, according to a media report.

Stephens was living with Watkins and the two were arguing when the shooting happened, Woodall told the paper.

“Our victim in this shooting had just told the suspect that he was going to have to move out,” Woodall said. “The victim had discovered that the suspect was stealing from him.”

Police said the confrontation between the two men escalated and ended in the shooting shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday.

After the shooting, Stephens allegedly fled the scene in the victim’s black 2007 Dodge Ram pickup, police spokesman Phong Nguyen said. Investigators found the stolen pickup Wednesday afternoon, but did not locate Stephens until, police said.

“His mom called police and told us that she had him in the car with him and told us where she was going,” Woodall said.

Police intercepted the car on Tara Boulevard in Spalding County, police said. They found Stephens inside, armed with a handgun. But he was arrested without incident, police said.

“We credit that mother for helping us arrest him,” Woodall said.

Stephens was questioned and later transported to the Clayton County jail. It's unclear if the handgun police found in his possession was the same one used in the shooting. Still, Stephens said he did not kill the man who took him into his home.

"I apologize for what happened to the victim, but I took no part in it," Stephens told Channel 2 Action News.