For families on the northside of Atlanta, the Mall of Georgia hosts a fantastic Fourth of July event that shouldn't be missed. It all starts with live entertainment and activities for families and ends with a fabulous fireworks extravaganza. This is the ninth year that he Mall of Georgia has celebrated the Fourth of July and each year the celebration gets bigger and better than ever.
Children can play the day away in the Kids Zone, located near The Village. They'll love spending the afternoon playing on giant inflatables, riding The Bela Tori train and enjoying games and vendors. To avoid the traffic jam after the show, be sure to stick around for a free and post-fireworks showing of Little Fockers.
In addition to the fun and fireworks, the Mall of Georgia will feature a Beer Garden, a comfortable outdoor lounge open to families, but catering specifically to the 21 and older crowd. For the first time ever, guests can enjoy a cold brew, wine and festive cocktails (priced at $5, cash only) and patriotic concessions including bratwurst, hamburgers, hotdogs and grilled chicken sandwiches for $7 each. Entry into the Beer Garden is free with the purchase of a beverage and/or food.
The 411 on the Fourth of July celebration at the Mall of Georgia:
- When: Monday, July 4, 2011
- Time: Free concerts begin at 2:00 p.m. in the Village Amphitheatre. The Kids Zone also opens at 2:00 p.m. Fireworks begin at dusk (around 9:30 p.m.).
- Where: Mall of Georgia at 3333 Buford Dr.; Buford GA 30519.
- Cost: Free!
Note from Editor:
My family has attended this annual family-friendly event several times, so I wanted to share these tips to make your own trip to Mall of Georgia more enjoyable this Fourth of July:
- Arrive early to get a good parking spot. If possible, park in one of the satellite shopping plazas and walk to the Village at the Mall of Georgia. When the fireworks end, you’ll have a better chance of getting out quicker if you’re not in the mall bottleneck.
- If you do park at the mall, plan on sticking around for the post-fireworks showing of Little Fockers. Get an ice cream and relax under the stars. After about an hour or so, you’ll easily be able to exit the parking lot.
- Bring foldable chairs (the soccer variety). Coolers are allowed, but alcohol is not. If you want an adult beverage, the Beer Garden is open.
- The music is always good and there are fun rides and games for the kids. No one will be bored if you arrive several hours before the big fireworks show.
To receive future articles by Jackie Kass, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Do you have a story idea? I'd love to hear from you! E-mail your ideas to me at email@example.com.