I remember in the BK times or before kids, Super Bowl Parties were relatively easy to host. All the single guys would bring beer, married potluck appetizers, single ladies wines and cocktails and as the host we would provide chili and desserts. It was nothing to have everyone mingling around watching the game in several rooms of our home and having a great time.
The past few years have been different at our home! We have young kids and now its time to get back in the party mode to host our family friendly Super Bowl party especially since the Baltimore Ravens have made it to the top of the AFC this year!
Depending upon how you feel about having alcohol at a party with kids, its really up to you what to provide in terms of adult beverages. As a party host it is extremely important to make sure you have a designated driver with car seats to take families home safely.
The Super Bowl starts at 6:30 p.m. E.S.T. on CBS. This means some children will not make it til the game is over. Keep this in mind when planning events. Here are few more tips:
- Kids don't have the longest attention span. Have another place in the house where they can play video games, craft, watch a movie etc.
- Be mindful of food allergies for guest including the kids!
- Have kid friendly food remember, most 3 year-olds do not eat buffalo wings!
- Have some kids fun planned!
- Be prepared for some families to leave at halftime. After all it is a school night for kids in Maryland!
- Chicken tenders with dipping sauces
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Mini Meatballs
- Veggies with dip
- Grape Jello with Whip Cream and Raven colored sprinkles
- Grape Kool-Aid (some adults might try this again too!)
- Baked Potato Bar
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Make your own pizza bagel bar
- Purple water - this is water with food coloring in it to make it purple!
- Ravens cupcakes - whether you make them at home or buy them from the grocery store, bakery or my favorite Flavor Cupcakery they will rock
Kid Movies and Games
- Super Bowl Bingo - easy to print out and use Goldfish crackers or M&Ms as markers
- Raven Says - really Simon Says but keep with the theme!
- Pin the Football through the Goal Posts - just use painters tape to make the goal post to a wall and use footballs they make and decorate out of paper and more painters tape to blindfolded "Pin" between the goal post
- Football Coloring - Print off some football coloring pages by doing a quick Google search under images.
- Pre-Game Warm Up - Actually get the kids moving before the game to get the extra energy out! Try doing warm-ups like the players (jumping jacks, stretching, jogging in place, catching the football, running routes, or even practicing their touchdown dance)
- Halftime Concert - Go ahead have Beyonce do her thing at halftime but, give the kids play microphones and have them jam out!
- Halftime Tag - If the energy is high for the kids take them outside to do a game of night glow tag. Every one gets a glow stick and has to hold it while they play tag
General Kid Fun
- Have the kids wear purple and black Mardi Gras style beads
- Get some washable purple hair spray
- Temporary Raven or football tatoos
- Face Paint on favorite players number on their cheeks
If you are having fun and the kids are having fun that is what is important! Life did not stop because we have kids, it just detours a little!