If there was only one condiment available for the rest of time, what would you choose? Mayo would be an excellent choice. You see, mayonnaise is not only a spread for your sandwich; it also has a place inside different salads, recipes, hair treatments, and even a few chocolate cakes call for it due to the moisture it provides.
Making your own mayo is shockingly easy! This mayo recipe requires five basic ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. All you have to do is blend up those 5 ingredients in a blender. The only tricky part is drizzling you oil into the mixture at the slowest pace possible. We’re talking so slow that the turtle will finish the race before you have it all drizzled in. If you don’t go that slowly, it will not set up correctly and the batch won’t be perfect.
Make your own mayo with the whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- In the container of a food processor or blender, combine the mustard powder, salt, eggs and vinegar. Set the food processor on medium speed and gradually drizzle in the oil while it runs. Transfer to a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Make sure your blender (or food processor) is bone dry
- Pour the oil in slower than a snail’s pace. In this case, there is no such thing as too slow
- For a healthier version: use extra virgin olive oil and organic free range eggs
- You can also alter this to be a salad dressing by adding 1 to 2 Tbsp. of sugar
- Calories 16
- Carbohydrates 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 0 g
- Fiber 0.4 g
- Protein 0.5 g
- Sodium139 mg
Making your own mayonnaise is probably the last thing you would think of making from scratch, but why not? You can jazz it up using different types of oils, such as olive oil, peanut oil or even coconut oil. These will give your mayo a slightly infused flavor enhancer. Think of it this way, if you make it and don’t like it, you didn’t waste too much supplies. If you do like it, it will be a lot cheaper to make than to buy the big bottles where there’s always some left that has to be tossed.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!