Pizza pockets, or as some people call them, hot pockets, are popular, but they are also expensive. If you are trying to cut your grocery budget, but don't want to cross pizza pockets off of your shopping list, then make your own. These are much healthier than the packaged kind and taste better, too. The best part is that they can be made in 30 minutes.
Ingredients needed to make homemade pizza pockets:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Toppings of your choice (I used mozzarella cheese and pepperoni)
How to make homemade hot pockets:
- Mix flour, water, salt and baking powder together in a bowl. The dough shouldn't be too sticky, but should still hold together. If it is too moist, add a tiny amount of flour. If it is too dry, add water a few drops at a time until it is the correct consistency. It is best if you skip using a spoon and use your hands to knead it.
- Put some flour on a clean work surface and separate the dough into four balls.
- Roll each ball out into a oblong-shaped disc.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and place one disc on it.
- Put some mozzarella cheese on top.
- Add six or seven small slices of pepperoni (or your choice of toppings.)
- Put some more mozzarella cheese on top of the pepperoni.
- Take another flour disc and put it on top of the toppings. Use a fork to gently press down the edges. This will seal the toppings inside of the pizza pocket.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
This homemade pizza pocket recipe is a huge hit and even the picky eaters in my house prefer it over the store-bought kind. Experiment with different ingredients and create your own tasty version!