Many people purchase alternatives to cow's milk such as rice milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk for various health reasons, which you can find out more about here. Aside from being a healthy choice, it's also an affordable one. The usual price of 1 qt. of rice, almond, cashew, or coconut milk is generally over $1.60, if not significantly more. I've found that for around that same price I can make a whole gallon!
Here's some of my tasty recipe ideas.
Ultimate Milk Recipe
- 1 cup raw almonds (may substitute rice, cashews, raw coconut, or any mixture of these to preference)
- 1 quart water (for coconut milk only recipe, use 3 cups water and soak previous, for rice milk use hot water)
- 1-2 Tbs. raw honey or agave nectar (Find out more about sweeteners here!)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. safflower oil (optional, I like to use a bit less than 1 Tbs., great with almond and cashew milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (optional, great in rice milk for flavor)
1. For almonds place in boiling water for 1 min. then strain, let cool before removing skins. (other ingredients will not require boiling)
2. Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. (About 3 min.)
3. Strain if desired. (Use cheesecloth or sieve.)
Pulp may be baked in bread, dehydrated as flour, mixed in a smoothie, or cooked in eggs for extra fiber.
Note: To make rice milk smoother you can cook the rice with part of the water before blending, 2 cups of water to 1 cup rice.
Recommendations: try almond-coconut, almond-cashew, or get creative and add sesame to one of the recipes. Coconut also blends with almond, rice, and cashew recipes very nicely.
Also some people like to add protein or multivitamin powder for extra nutrients, however, depending on your diet you may already receive sufficient nutrition from other sources.
Buy your ingredients locally:
Check out Colorado Spring's local Sunflower Farmers Market (1730 Dublin Boulevard, 719.590.8890) for great prices on your ingredients.
Experiment with the recipe, make some delicious smoothies with the milk recipe, and feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any question, comments, or concerns.