As big as Valentine’s Day is, you’d expect to be run off your feet going to special events put on just for the day.
Or at least be blown away by the sheer number of cool things to do to impress your sweetie.
Fortunately, there are a few events of interest this next week in GreaterJax®.
And it’s Presidents’ Day weekend, too.
- 5th Annual Cinema Verde Environmental Film & Arts Festival – Thurs., Feb 13 2:30-11:30 p.m. Historic Depot Park Bldg., 203 SE Depot Ave., Gainesville, Fla. Admission: $12 General, $10 Students/Seniors. Events: 2/13 Opening Night VIP Reception, 2/14 VDay Party & Vintage Verde Fashion Show, 2/15 Eco Fair & Green Car Expo, 2/16 Morning EcoTours, Closing Night Awards Ceremony and Wrap Party. Showing 30+ films. Topics include food, water, waste, energy, animals, sustainable life, business and government. Film include: ‘GMO OMG,’ ‘The Atomic States of America,’ ‘Cape Spin!,’ ‘Scott Camil Will Not Die,’ ‘Terms and Conditions May Apply,’ ‘A Will for the Woods,’ ‘The Wisdom to Survive,’ and ‘The Paw Project.’
- American Legion Auxiliary Unit 250 Valentines Day Surf-n-Turf Dinner & Dance – Sat., Feb. 9, 5 p.m. 3939 County Rd. 218, Middleburg, Fla. Admission: $15 per person, $25 per couple. SAL Hosted by Squadron 2502 and American Legion Auxiliary Unit 250 of Middleburg. Dinner will be served from 5-7 p.m., and the dance begins at 8 p.m. For more information, please call Art or Sherry at 904-282-3766.
- Aura Music Festival – Fri., Feb. 14, 11 a.m. Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, 3076 95th Dr., Live Oak, Fla. Admission: $145-$325. Featuring Lotus, Papadosio, Conspirator, Zoogma, The Revivalists, The Heavy Pets, Jimkata and more. For more information and a full line-up, please visit www.auramusicfestival.com.
- Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront Valentine's Day Dinner – Fri., Feb. 14, 5 p.m. Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, 225 E. Coastline Dr., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $85 per couple. Make this a Valentine's Day to remember at Trellises Restaurant at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. Three-course prix fixe menu, including a complimentary glass of wine. For more information, please call 904-634-4540 or visit jacksonville.hyatt.com.
- Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra: Romeo and Juliet – Thurs., Feb. 13, 7:30 p.m. Jacoby Symphony Hall, Florida Times-Union Center, 300 W. Water St., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $25 - $72. Florida Blue Masterworks Series. Prokofiev created one of the most enduringly popular ballets, based on Shakespeare’s timeless love tragedy. The Valentine’s Weekend program also features the romantic works of Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn. For more information, call 904-354-5547 or visit JaxSymphony.org.
- Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestra: Festival of Strings – Sun., Feb. 16, 5 p.m. Jacoby Symphony Hall, Florida Times-Union Center, 300 W. Water St., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: Adults $10, $5 Kids. Publix Super Markets Charities JSYO Series. Featuring the string ensembles of the Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestra, Douglas Anderson and LaVilla Schools of the Arts, as well as the Jump Start Strings. More than 200 students will gather on stage for a grand finale. For more information, please call 904-354-5547 or visit jaxsymphony.org.
- Kingsley Heritage Celebration – Sat., Feb 15, 10 a.m. 12713 Ft Caroline Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. At Kingsley Plantation, part of the Timucuan Ecological Preserve. This first day features Kid's Corner and tours of the planter's house, performances by the Colonial Music Institute Singers, Senegalese kora player Ajamu Mutima, and discussions with scholar Dr. Daniel Schafer and descendent Frances Peri-Betsch. For more information, please call 904-641-7155.
- Presidents Day Weekend at the Hall of Fame – Feb. 14-17, 10 a.m. World Golf Hall of Fame, One World Golf Pl, St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: Kids FREE, military personnel $10, other regular fees apply. Did you know that Presidents George H.W. Bush and Dwight D. Eisenhower are both members of the Hall of Fame? Learn about their contributions to the game and more while taking a special scavenger hunt that enters you to win a Hall of Fame prize package. There will also be a photo opportunity with the Presidents Cup trophy throughout the day. For more information, please visit worldgolfhalloffame.org.
- Right Whales Love Flagler Beach! – Feb., 15, 1- 2 p.m. Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area, 3100 S. Ocean Shore Blvd., Flagler Beach, Fla. Admission: $5 per carload of 2-8. Frank Gromling will present a 45-minute program about one of the world's most endangered large mammals, the North Atlantic right whale. Gromling, who has been a volunteer with the Marineland® Right Whale Project since its inception in 2000, has monitored and photographed these 50-ton animals as they visit the coastal waters off Flagler Beach each winter. For more information, please call 386-517-2086.
- Valentine’s Love Feast – Fri., Feb. 14, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Jack & Diane's Café, 708 Centre St., Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach, Fla. Admission: $7-$14. Celebrate your love with us on Valentine's Day. We always have a great time helping LOVE blossom over a great meal. A special menu created just for lovers. Enjoy some wine, great food, excellent company and dessert, of course. For more information, please call 904-321-1444 or visit www.jackanddianescafe.com.
- Valentine's Day Full Moon Beach Stroll – Fri., Feb. 14, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area, 3100 S. Ocean Shore Blvd., Flagler Beach, Fla. Admission: $5 per carload of 2-8. Join a Ranger for this special Valentine’s Day full moon beach stroll. Visitors will learn about fun and interesting moon facts and the effects of the moon on the tidal ecosystem while enjoying the romantic ambiance of the rise of the full moon. Take a short walk to learn about the coastal ecosystem, or participate in a longer hike while discussing various myths, mysteries, and mysticism of the full moon throughout the centuries. Please bring water and dress for the weather. Bring a camera for beautiful photo opportunities. For more information, please call 386-517-2086.
- Valentine's Dinner – Fri., Feb. 14, 5:30-9 p.m. Cafe 4750 at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, 4750 Amelia Island Pkwy, Fernandina Beach, Fla. Admission: $68 per person. Romantic dinner that begins with seafood appetizer bar and an entree selection of grilled New York strip steak, butter poached lobsters or house made tagliatelle with asparagus and wild mushrooms. For more information, please call 904-277-1100 or visit www.ritzcarlton.com.
- Wolf to Woof: The Story of Dogs – Sat., Feb. 15, 11:30 a.m., repeats every day until Sept. 1, 2014. Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Gainesville, 3215 Hull Rd., Gainesville, Fla. Admission: Regular museum admission. Largest and most comprehensive exhibition ever created on the history, biology and evolution of dogs. The exhibit sniffs out the facts on the unique role of dogs in human societies and what makes the human/dog relationship so unique. For more information, please call 352-846-2000 or visit flmnh.ufl.edu.
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org