A strong dose of the great outdoors works wonders for not only kids but adults as well. There is nothing like it for reminding people what truly matters in life, how beautiful this state really is and how special time spent actually doing things with the family really can be. Following are some of the recreational opportunities Connecticut has to offer:
- Bushnell Park - Hartford. America's oldest public park is home to the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch, A Civil War memorial, also, a Children's Play and learning Environment and many events and festivals. Kids love the Bushnell Park Carousel which dates to circa 1914. For more info, visit: www.bushnellpark.org.
- Devil's Hopyard State Park - East Haddam. Take in Chapman Falls, one of Connecticut's most photogenic cascades and marvel over the "potholes" at the base and how they actually came to be. For more info, visit: www.ct.gov/dep.
- Elizabeth Park - Hartford. Visit America's oldest municipal rose garden - at its blossoming peak in June. One of Connecticut's most wonderful spots to picnic and a great place to enjoy a free family concert on summer evenings. For more info, visit: www.elizabethpark.org.
- Farmington River Tubing - Hew Hartford. The 2.5 mile ride is thrilling for parents and kids. Operating from Memorial Day weekend through mid-September it's a great way to cool off and drink in the scenic beauty while drifting down this gorgeous river. For more info visit, www.farmingtonrivertubing.com.
- White Memorial Conservation Center - Litchfield. Less than an hour from Hartford, this is Connecticut's largest nature center. Open free to the public it contains thirty five miles of trails for hiking, cross-country skiing, bird watching, picnicking and boating. Two family campgrounds are also available for overnight outings. For more info, visit, www.whitememorialcc.org.
Kids grow up incredibly fast - make the most of every opportunity to get outside and have some fun. From the activities above to just a walk around the neighborhood, time spent outside with the kids almost always refreshes the senses and renews perspective. Enjoy!