Being frugal can extend into the laundry room by making your own laundry detergent. It isn't difficult and can be used in front or top loading washing machines. Here are the recipes to get you started, along with recipes for pre wash stain spray and bleach substitute.
16 cups baking soda
12 cups washing soda (borax)
8 cups grated castile or glycerin soap flakes
3 tablespoons lavender, lemon or grapefruit essential oil
- Combine baking soda, borax and soap flakes.
- Add essential oil and mix with a wire whisk.
- Be sure to label container
- Use 1⁄8 cup per load.
Pre-Wash Stain Spray
1⁄2 cup white vinegar
1⁄4 cup baking soda
3 cups water
- Stir together and fill a labeled spray bottle.
- Spray on soiled spots just before washing.
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
1⁄4 cup lemon or grapefruit juice
12 cups water
- Store in a labeled plastic jug.
- Add 2 cups per load along with detergent.
- Hanging on an outdoor clothesline can also brighten whites due to the sunshine.