Photo ©A.Gallatin 2009
Triple-digit temps getting you down? Air Conditioner on the fritz because it can't cool your house down to even 80 degrees because it's more than 20 degrees below the outside temperature?
Try this refreshing and delicious grown up Granita that even melon-haters can't resist.
It's a great drink/dessert to make when you have guests, because it gives you the same satisfaction as a "frozen" drink, but you won't be standing by the blender making drinks while everyone else is enjoying the party.
What you'll need:
- 1 melon (I used a Galia Melon) - You'll need about 2.5 cups of peeled & seeded melon.
- 1.5 cup filtered water
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
- fresh lime juice to taste
- Añejo or Dark Rum (I used Don Q Añejo)
- Apricot Brandy (optional) (I used Marie Brizard)
1. Blend the peeled and seeded melon, water, sugar, lime juice, and 1 oz of rum for 2+ minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Add more sugar or lime juice to taste.
2. Grab a small glass baking dish and pour the mixture in. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours until the mixture is solid.
3. Once frozen, scrape with a fork until you have a slushy icy mixture. Cover and refreeze.
4. When you're guests arrive, scoop out a cup or so of mixture into a cup, top with a shot of rum and about a 1/2 oz of the optional apricot brandy.
5. Stir and enjoy with a spoon. If you make this in Austin, you'll be able to enjoy it with a straw within thirty seconds!