Is weight gain on vacation inevitable? If you over-eat and abandon fitness, then yes, its a self-fulfilling prophecy. Break that negative pattern and pack for fitness.
- Identify sight-seeing options that are fitness oriented as part of your vacation planning. Look for bike trails and bike rental stands. Choose a walking tour of downtown or scenic area. If visiting friends, ask if they have a bike or ability to get guest passes for local fitness center. Plan ahead!
- If you are staying in a hotel, choose one with a well equipt fitness center and pool.
- Bring fitness gear. If your walking shoes are bulky, wear them on the plane.
- Stretch bands and jump rope take up as little room as a pair of socks and give many options for workout on the road.
- Pedometer- Whether you use clip on pedometer or set a pedometer app on your smart phone, measure your daily walking. While on vacation, take in the sights by walking as much as possible.
- If there is absolutely no way to get into a gym for weight workout, buy several large cans of food and use those for hand weights. Leave them behind with a note to donate to a food pantry.
- Swimming is excellent exercise. Bring your swim suit and get in some serious laps as well as deep water stretches. If you are not a strong swimmer, you can water walk in the shallow end of pool. Water resistance is a good workout.
- Connect with local recreation center. Ask about open basketball or volleyball game nights.
- Get up and get moving! Yes, vacation is for relaxation but that does not mean couch potato time. Take advantage of free time to walk, explore, bike or run and enjoy the new scenery.