Exercise can be a great way to improve both your physical and social health. Exercise was once just playing and it was fun and it was done with friends. One way to make sure exercise becomes habit is to include a social element. Why just go to the gym, work out, leave and not talk to anyone. Instead, put social interactions into some of your weekly exercise routines. Socializing helps keep you motivated to keep exercising and provide an opportunity to meet new people.
The American Council on Exercise suggests how to make physical activity more social:
- Ask your friends to join you for a hike and a picnic in a park.
- Join a team sport (such as softball, soccer or tennis) and play with your friends.
- Gather a group of friends to start a walking group, and enjoy conversation and different routes while you exercise.
- Participate in a group dance class or a group fitness class.
- Ask some friends if they would like to join you in small-group training sessions with a certified fitness trainer.
- Head out on an active vacation with a group of friends or family.
- Start a Facebook group.