Growing up with a mom, who hails from Missouri -- or Mizzerah as she calls it -- it goes without saying that I've learned how to make deviled eggs. It turns out that the recipe that I learned from my mother, the deviled eggs with relish recipe, is the same recipe that Miss Southern charm herself, Paula Deen uses when she makes her version of this dish.
Christmas Cocktail Recipes to go With Your Appetizers
- 'Mad Men' martinis and 6 other fun martini drinks to make as Christmas cocktails
- Christmas cocktail drinks with rum from Martha Stewart, Bobby Flay and Emeril
- Five classic Christmas cocktail drinks: Eggnog, hot toddy, chocolate peppermint
Health Benefits of Eggs
It was a dish that we served often during the holidays. They're perfect really as an option if you want to have some easy cold appetizers to feed to your crowd. Their texture is lovely. They look pretty, and the health benefits of eggs are now finally coming to light.
According to Women's Health Magazine, eggs can help to reduce cancer, keep your eyes in tip top shape and assist you in losing weight. And did I mention they make cheap appetizers for a crowd? Yes? Ok.
Because I was around it so much, I never had to really ask, "How do I make deviled eggs?" I learned through osmosis. Or eggsmosis, perhaps. That said, I know that there are plenty of people who didn't grow up around restaurant folks and therefore, who don't know how to make deviled eggs. If you're looking for a nice dish to serve before you unleash your delectable Christmas dinner recipes onto your guests, consider the lowly egg.
Deviled Eggs Recipes From Classic to Spicy
- Bacon Ranch Deviled Eggs still give you the tastes from mayo and mustard, but bring in a bacon twist. If you're feeling really adventurous, serve this easy cold appetizer with a bacon Bloody Mary for extra bacon deliciousness.
- The Pimento Cheese Stuffed Deviled Eggs bring cheese to the deviled egg experience. I'm thinking, how could you not like a deviled egg that had Pimento plus cheddar and nacho flavoring. Just sayin'...
- Paula Deen's Southern Deviled Eggs get a nod because of they bring on more than a bit of nostalgia for me and because Miss Deen is one of my guardian movie star chefs. This is a common version of the classic deviled egg recipe.
- The Basic Deviled Eggs With Vinegar appeals to people like just a touch of mayo, mustard and white wine vinegar to liven up this easy cold appetizer.
And my Recipe, Garlic Deviled Eggs:
- You'll need to boil a dozen eggs
- and then set them aside to cool.
Slice the eggs in half, being careful not to break the whites
Pull the yolks out and put them into a medium-size dish
- Add a tablespoon of mayo or salad dressing to the yolks along with
- a 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- a 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Mash the yolks, the spices and the mayo together, using a fork
Place the empty egg whites on a platter and spoon the deviled yolks into the empty shells.
- Garnish with paprika and ground black pepper.