A holiday village made from recycled boxes will brighten up those long winter evenings. Gather up plenty of small, cardboard boxes and a few LED tealights and have fun building your village.
You will need:
Small boxes (cracker, pasta and other food product boxes work well)
Tissue or waxed paper
Paper (such as newsprint)
1. Disassemble the boxes and lay them flat.
2. The adult should use the craft knife to cut windows into the boxes.
3. Tape tissue paper, waxed paper or baking paper over the windows (the tape should go on the printed side of the box).
4. Use the markers to draw decorations on the windows.
5. Decorate the rest of the house with markers. Be sure to draw on the non-printed side of the box.
6. Reassemble the box inside-out so that the drawing is on the outside and the printed side faces inward. Secure with tape.
7. Drop an LED tealight into the box.
8. To make a street for your village, use crayons or markers to draw a road or grass on a sheet of newsprint.