Black cats are not bad luck how absurd! Who believes such rubbish? Well, a mouse, maybe.
Black cats are also fashionable anytime of the year; but particularly at Halloween. What better way to celebrate their elegant ebony beauty than with a practical pencil holder. Pencil holders by the way hold crayons, school and office supplies, Halloween candy, gum, popcorn and even bags of cat treats.
To make a cute cat pencil holder you will need some black acrylic paint, an empty veggie or fruit can, a paint brush, black green, pink, gray, orange glitter black felt, white craft glue, scissors, a hot glue gun, acrylic sealer spray and your imagination.
Acclimatize this project for any color cat by merely changing the felt color. Fill a cello bag with Halloween candy, tie with an orange or black ribbon and position inside this can for a fun gift. Another idea is to fill the cat can with black or orange plastic forks, spoons and knifes for a celebratory table decoration.
1. Make certain that vegetable or fruit can is clean and completely dry. If there are any sharp edges at the opening, smooth them out with a little sandpaper before starting in on the artwork...
2. Paint the outside of can black (or orange) and set aside to dry.
3. From the rest of the black glitter felt, cut enough to line inside of the can.
4. From the regular black felt, cut a strip the length of the felt about 2.5” wide.
5. From the green felt, cut out two almond shapes for eyes.
6. From the black felt, cut two slits for pupils and two eyelids for eyes.
7. From the pink felt, cut out a nose.
8. From the gray felt, cut six 4” long thin rectangular strips for whiskers.
9. From black glitter felt cut out two triangles for ears.
10. Once the paint on the can has dried completely, spray with acrylic sealer spray and set aside to dry for about 10 minutes.
11. Use the white craft glue to line the inside of the can with the black glitter felt.
12. Attach the eyes, slits, lids, and nose to the front of the can with the craft glue...
13. After 2/3 of the whiskers to the can, near the vicinity of the nose, three on each side. Keep the final 1/3 of each whisker unglued so that they stick out from the side of the can.
14. Glue the triangle ears to the inside front of the can.
15. Take your black strip of felt and roll it into a tail and secure with glue from the hot glue gun. Starting at the back of the can, come around to the front and secure in place with hot glue.
You now have a very cute cat pencil holder. Of course, it goes without saying; you will want to make more than one. You can make many variations as well. Let your mind's eye go up, up and away..