Everyone should be aware of the major warning signs of a heart attack. Most heart attacks start slowly and not all the warning signs happen at the same time. However, the most important thing to remember, if you or someone else with you has any one of the warning signs of a heart attack, is to call 911 immediately. Do not wait more than five minutes. Every minute matters to save your life.
Although both men and women can have all or some of the same warning signs of a heart attack, they experience them differently.
Warning signs in men
- The most common heart attack symptom is discomfort in he center of the chest the lasts more than a few minutes, or comes and goes. This can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain.
- Men may experience shortness of breath, break out in a cold sweat, and feel nauseous or lightheaded.
- Men may have pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, and jaw.
Warning signs in women
- Women's most common early warning signs are unusual fatigue, trouble sleeping, indigestion, and anxiety.
- Like men, women experience pain or uncomfortable pressure or squeezing in the center of the chest.
- Women are more likely to have spreading pain o one or both arms, haw, and back.
- Women are also more likely to have shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting, cold sweats, and dizziness.
Since their warning signs are often different from men, women must insist that their doctors pay serious attention to them in order to get immediate proper care.