What would Christ teach if he returned at this time? Amidst the rampant discord and numerous areas of breakdown in society, it would be helpful to know what Christ himself thought of our progress as a human race.
Would he, perhaps, endorse social and economic justice? Many Christians see justice as integral to their faith and its practical expression in everyday living. Though Christians may disagree about the timing and nature of the return of their teacher, they would surely acknowledge Christ’s concern for the poor 2,000 years ago, and how he would therefore continue to be concerned up until this present day.
For over 30 years, millions of people around the world have heard that the one awaited as Christ by Christians, whose personal name is Maitreya and who comes as a teacher for all humanity, is returning at this moment of global crisis to inaugurate a new era of peace and reconstruction (see "Christ's physical return is now underway"). Maitreya, the Christ, has indicated many times that his initial focus will be on addressing the widespread social and economic injustice which is holding us back from achieving any true measure of peace.
In the late 1970's and early 1980's, Maitreya gave 140 spoken messages through British artist and lecturer Benjamin Creme via a process called "overshadowing". They were recorded, transcribed, and made available to the public and news media. These messages gave glimpses into the nature of this great teacher's thoughts and mission. Between 1988 and 1993 Maitreya also released a series of teachings, published in Share International magazine (by means of an associate in London who then relayed them to two journalists). These teachings were of a different nature and served a slightly different purpose. They often related to events taking place at that moment in time: important happenings such as the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification of Germany, the breakdown of the Soviet Union, the release of Nelson Mandela after decades of imprisonment, the political and social shifting of tides, and other trends that humanity could expect to see in the coming months and years ahead. Many forecasts were given on events that few would have thought possible, just prior to their happening.
Maitreya’s messages on the need for economic justice
The following are excerpts of Maitreya's messages and teachings, as originally published by Share International.
- "As a brother among brothers I shall speak for you all, voice aloud your aspirations and hopes; make known the desire of all men for a world at peace, for a just and noble readiness to share; for the creation of a society based on freedom and love. By My enunciation of these principles will you know and discover Me." (Message #61, February 1979)
- "How can you be content with the modes within which you now live: when millions starve and die in squalor; when the rich parade their wealth before the poor; when each man is his neighbor's enemy; when no man trusts his brother? For how long must you live thus, my friends? For how long can you support this degradation?" (Message #81, September 1979)
- Since [the message above] was given in 1979, we have been shocked by the horror of recurring famine in Africa and the ongoing misery in other nations. Gradually we have come to recognize that world hunger is unnecessary as well as immoral since it is due not to a lack of food or food production capabilities, but to the social, political and economic injustices that produce poverty. It is the poor who go hungry, whether in a 'developed' or 'developing' nation, and both domestic and international institutions maintain and exacerbate that poverty. Thus the gap between rich and poor grows ever wider; it now represents the single greatest threat to world peace.
- Maitreya makes clear that we can, if we choose, change our ways and put an end to hunger and to the monumental array of man-made crises we now face: "The problems of mankind are real but solvable. The solution lies within your grasp. Take your brother's need as the measure for your action and solve the problems of the world. There is no other course." When we begin to follow this advice and institute the principle of sharing, peoples and nations will begin to trust one another; once there is trust, there will be justice; and once there is justice for all, we will have a genuine and lasting peace.
- "Throughout the world there are men, women and little children who have not even the essentials to stay alive; they crowd the cities of many of the poorest countries in the world. This crime fills Me with shame. My brothers, how can you watch these people die before your eyes and call yourselves men? My plan is to save these, My little ones, from certain starvation and needless death." (Message #11, January 1978)
- All who share the hope that mankind should live in peace together work for Me. Peace, Sharing and Justice are central to My Teaching. Wherever the Light of these Truths shines I turn My eye, and through the channel of that Light do I send My Love. Thus do I work. Thus through you do I change the world." (Message #92, December 1979)